Welding Spindles?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigd4xman

Ok, I've got an old chevy truck axle that the stubs on the spindles are shot on, and I've got some 70's GM B body car spindle stubs I would like to weld on to these spindles so I can have disc brakes and new style bearings without spending a fortune. I know a machinist that can get everything flat and level so it wouldn't be out of whack. Just wondering what kind of rod to use welding forged steel, 7018 Lo Hydrogen stainless? Would this be safe as long as I do the weld process correctly? (I welded structural steel a couple years ago for a living, so I could lay in a bead pass, hot pass and cap like we did on stainless there.) If I remember correctly my welds held to over 180,000psi when I did my weld test.

IIRC,7018 is not Stainless.

You would definately have to redo the king pin bushings when you are finished.
The heat will likely warp the spindle enough the holes won't line up.

I had the pitman arm on my '27 cut and rewelded years ago by a very good welder who used to live here. He cut both halves into tapered points and made pass after pass, filling up the missing area until it was solidly welded up. Then he ground it smooth. That was 20 years ago and the arm still looks great.

Don

7018 (low hydrogen, not stainless) would be a good choice. Just remember half of the welding job is in the prep work. Bevel the two surfaces, and clean out the slag between weld layers, and start and stops. Heat will work against you in keeping things straight.

I would look for some good spindles and a kit to use the disc set up on them. Sorry, I just don't like the idea of this fix.

Ron

I know what you mean, this is a hard one to give advise on because it depends greatly on the skills of the person doing the welding. This is not a fix for everyone. People who think they can weld should not even try it. People who know they can weld, should think twice.

Latest posts

Back