Welding table

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim...Ok

Just picked up a 4' x 10' plate of 3/8" steel today to build me a bigger welding table out of..ouch, that smarts a little $341..would have liked to have gone thicker.. 1/2" was about $550, so this will have to work.. I'll post pics as I get it put together..

Tim

We just saw one that size that was 3/4 inch thick, I bet it weighs a ton ! :eek:

Ours is only 3/8 and is fine. We keep threatening to build a bigger, thicker one but this one has worked for 6 years now, so why change.

Don

I've got a 3/8" table and a 1/2" table , have had both for years only thing different is the half inch is way heavier to push around !

Do you use these flat plate tables to build frames on? Or do you recommend a grid type table/jig built of rectangular tubing for the frames? Do you get the tables ground after assembly to assure flatness? I once had some work done by a builder that had a 6'x12' cast iron table with a grid of 1" square holes that he used to build entire race cars on. It must have been at least 3" thick.:eek:

I'm new at this so any advice is appreciated.
Here is a jig that I thought looked interesting sorry if it was posted before:
attachment.php

Last edited:
I have a doer ate frame bench. It's a machined flat surface with jig attachments, we use it for chassis fab and build molds off it to.

Do you use these flat plate tables to build frames on? Or do you recommend a grid type table/jig built of rectangular tubing for the frames? Do you get the tables ground after assembly to assure flatness? I once had some work done by a builder that had a 6'x12' cast iron table with a grid of 1" square holes that he used to build entire race cars on. It must have been at least 3" thick.:eek:I'm new at this so any advice is appreciated.

In a welding shop a big flat table is a must. Having a flat level surface to work from, that you can clamp to, and weld to makes projects come out better.
Any kind of a frame jig table, or welding table just makes things easier.

Just picked up a 4' x 10' plate of 3/8" steel today to build me a bigger welding table out of..ouch, that smarts a little $341..would have liked to have gone thicker.. 1/2" was about $550, so this will have to work.. I'll post pics as I get it put together..

Tim

i dont know if everyone - or ANYONE for that matter does this - but all of our welding tables at the shop have bases that were tapped and threaded for 3/4 in bolts - that allows us to adust the sides and corners etc so that the table can be perfectly level no matter where we move it in the shop with just a few turns of a wrench ... just thought id put that out there.

Yep, I just welded some 1 1/2 nuts in the pipe legs on the tables, and screwed in some massive bolts, on all four corners. Level is a great place to be.

Yep, I just welded some 1 1/2 nuts in the pipe legs on the tables, and screwed in some massive bolts, on all four corners. Level is a great place to be.

X2!!!! Level the table, then you can level everything up upon it....makes everything so much faster. Want to doublecheck something, measure from the table up....
My big table is 6'x10' with 1" top, has 8 casters to move it, a small tongue for the 20 horse lawntractor or forklift to roll it around, then 6 jackscrews for leveling.
Small table is 4x4 w/1"top, wheels and jackscrews also.
[;):cool:

all this talk about big welding tables and stuff makes me sick. My stinkin 2 car garage is so tight there is no way I could get something else in there. I feel like I gotta go get my balls outta my wife's purse. :( I give one of em away to have a 30x40 building to build in.

Dont feel so bad rat'l trap, all im using is 3 drywall benches with a stainless steal countertop from a hospital to work on , and it ant very sturdy[S

Latest posts

Back