What´s billet exactly?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the professor

Hey, guys, I've a question which might sound silly, but what exactly is billet? What is it we ratrodders don't use? Parts off the shelf? I'm planning on using a couple of motorcycle exhausts on the engine of my 2cv, but I don't know if that's billet or not. If anyone could shed some light on that one, I'd appreciate it.

The word billet has become distorted over the years to refer to aluminum parts that really are not billet. True billet parts are made when you take a big chunk of aluminum (called a billet) and cut away metal until you have the part you want. As an example, billet wheels are made by putting a huge billet into a cnc machine or lathe and turning them down into the shape they want. Boyd Coddington and Lil John Buttera were a couple of pioneers in using billet to make hot rod parts. Someone asked John one time "how in the world did you make that mirror out of aluminum?" His answer "you start with a chunk of aluminum and cut away everything that doesn't look like a mirror!!!"

But some companies now call aluminum parts that are stamped or cast from aluminum "billet" just to jump on the popularity bandwagon, trying to make you think you are buying some really special part.

Some hot rodders equate billet to gold chainers, or streetrods so it is like they are holding a cross up in front of Dracula or something when they say that "horrible" word. :rolleyes: Personally, I think some billet stuff is pretty cool.

Don

Most will use it if its cast aluminum, but like don said , the word has been distorted. Most parts on any car started as a chunk of billet, even steel!!

a.jpg

Billet Extreme!

Latest posts

Back