What all do I need

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeS10

So I am ready to look into getting my front and rear axles. I am ok with the rear I know what I need, but the front is where I am a little lost. I want to run a suicide I beam with split bones, I need a whole assembly so I figured I might as well get everything new and make it safe and easier since its my first build. Now the question comes... do I get the ford or chevy axle/spindles? Where should I buy from? I would like to give business to anyone one the boards if possible, but I am also not looking to break the bank either, so I kinda wanna do a plain axle and bones, the wheels I wanna grab are dual bolt pattern so its flexible there as far as spindles/brakes. Not sure if I am better off with disc or drum? I read somewhere about getting a steering stabilizer and shocks as well, especially if I plan to run a big block, is this true? Trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start spending some cash

I would go with disc brakes unless you want to stay traditional. Ford of Chevy bolt pattern is based on your wheel pattern, there is not much difference otherwise.
I can shoot you a price on a whole front end through Lucky 7, It depends on what options you want, and how complete. But hub to hub with hairpins, is around 1750.00

I like the idea of an all new part front end. good bearings, bushings, and springs, and disc brakes.

I would go with disc brakes unless you want to stay traditional. Ford of Chevy bolt pattern is based on your wheel pattern, there is not much difference otherwise.
I can shoot you a price on a whole front end through Lucky 7, It depends on what options you want, and how complete. But hub to hub with hairpins, is around 1750.00

I like the idea of an all new part front end. good bearings, bushings, and springs, and disc brakes.

That would be good, shoot me over a PM I'd prefer to buy it off a shop on here rather than a big box store just because this boards been a big help

I see a lot of guys advise going with new stuff on a first build generally for the sake of ease and safety so I'd rather drop some extra cash now to do it right rather than fight with buying used stuff and all the hassle with it

So I'm a bit confused now. One of the companies I'm dealing with is saying I will not need a panhard rod for cross steer on an I beam with split bones.. Is this true?

Hmmmm... how do they figure no panhard with a cross steer?

They're saying you don't need it with the use of split bones, which is also the reason why they're telling me I need spring over and can't go spring behind, only thing I can think is maybe mounting one side of the spring solid to the axle?

They're saying you don't need it with the use of split bones, which is also the reason why they're telling me I need spring over and can't go spring behind, only thing I can think is maybe mounting one side of the spring solid to the axle?

[S hmmm, maybe I am missing something, but generally they use a shackle on both sides on a spring over. I'm sure someone else can chime in on this as well.

I'd think that when using split bones the need for the Panhard bar is even greater because they are longer than your average hairpins. This tends to reduce the amount that they angle out from the frame mount to the perch bolt, reducing the triangulating effect to nil. Spring over or behind should make no difference, the shackles will move left and right regardless during hard cornering.
The original Ford wishbone was a model of simplicity and function which gave it built in triangulation and good suspension articulation.

Latest posts

Back