What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started burning in the chop, welding sheetmetal takes forever with a million spot welds.
1350809871.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

I havent touched my rat rod since late Dec 2011. But an aquiantenance friend gave me a 1947 Willys Jeep CJ2A (in Dec 2011). Been working on the braking system for over a month now replacing everything. This weekend I got around to the last drum/hub which is the left front. Waiting on parts and a little more cleanup on the backing plates. Then we reassemble and try to figure out how to bleed out a braking system with the single bore mastercylinder under the floor boards. Tub is off but there is no gravity feed like on the firewall mounted stuff. Gosh the internet is a wonderful thing. I will have to google this process...I am sure someone has already done this thing a million times before.

MikeC

This weekend I qualified with my 9mm on the pistol course and 28 out of 30 so not too bad. I did some track tension on an M1A2 Abrams tank. Took a PT test and showed some of the young guys the old man still has it :) Other than that nothing big.

I went 40/42 and 41/42 with the glock 22. Then did 25/25 and 25/25 with the AR followed up by a nice DWI and drugs bust at 2300 on saturday. Sunday me and the family dressed up like Zombie and volunteered at a 5K Tough Mudder style benifit race for trail maintainence. Got to chase the runners in our section. Then typed reports in the evening. Today is my friday with Tues and Wed off this week.

Tub406003.jpg

Finished putting a 406 in the Tub. Fired up on the first try. I bought a can of Rustoleun Rust Reformer for the headers and pipes but I think it was mislabeled as is plain old black paint. We'll see what a mess it makes when I break in the cam.

Nice shooting Mountain & jfg455. PM me with your suggestion of an economical home protection piece.

Had a interesting week end had a guy come down from Columbus to look at my truck on a possible trade for his 46 ford on Saturday made plans to go up Sunday to look at the ford at 1 am I get a call that the girlfriends sisters ol man is really drunk and flipping out so I go over and he is laying on the floor swinging at people and threatening to kill everyone so I try to calm him down when he starts to seize we scoop him up throw him in my truck and take him to hospital he comes to in rout clocks me in the head pukes all over my truck along with some other body functions takes a swing at the nurse so the cops are called we find out his b.a.l. is 1.475 way over the limit got home at 9 am so needless to say I've not made it to Columbus yet hope everyone else had a better weekend

Drove to Toronto Saturday morning...

attended a "surprise" birthday party for a friend .....80 years old....like any birthday would be a surprise...lol..
Drove back Sunday afternoon.... nice to see some old friends...literally...[cl

Nothing much. Cleaned up my moms place from the storm. Sunday went to a local car show and got a lead on my next possible. A 1952 Willys car. someone started to make a drag car out of it and lost interest. So we will see. Go to look at it on my day off.

attended a "surprise" birthday party for a friend .....80 years old....like any birthday would be a surprise...lol..
Drove back Sunday afternoon.... nice to see some old friends...literally...[cl

Thats awesome, I was asked a few weeks ago "At your 80 year birthday what do you want your family and friends to say about you?" now that makes you thing about where your life is going.

Well I can tell you what I wouldn't want them to say..

Thats awesome, I was asked a few weeks ago "At your 80 year birthday what do you want your family and friends to say about you?" now that makes you thing about where your life is going.

He WAS a really nice guy....never HAD a bad word for anyone....sure going to MISS him....LOL...:D

Put a door on the passenger side of my A bucket project.

Attachments

• a bucket 079 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 079 (Small).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 18
  • a bucket 080 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 080 (Small).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 17
  • a bucket 076 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 076 (Small).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 17
  • a bucket 081 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 081 (Small).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 15
I've suspended working on my rpu project until after Turkey Run , but I have been going over my 27, getting it ready for the 500 mile round trip drive. I have enough miles on the car that I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic, and as soon as I did my rpms at idle went from 1000 to 1200. Had to set the idle screws back down a little..........I guess because of less friction.

Then I changed the plugs, even though the old ones were fine. I was happy to see the old plugs were a nice tan color, which surprised me considering I am running about 1200 cfms on a 331 CI motor. I am way over carbed, but the motor seems to like it that way.

Also changed the cap and rotor. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but I somehow ordered a Mallory Unilite distributor that is made for drag racing use only. I was wondering why the center button on caps wears out pretty fast so I called Mallory to complain. The guy told me that this distributor has that problem because it is only designed to go 1/4 mile at a time and they made the button to make better contact and transfer higher voltage without arcing. So once a year I replace the cap ($50 :eek:) and I am good for another year.

Monday night I am going to grease the wheel bearings and tighten down every nut and bolt on the car, plus check the gear oil in the transmission and rear end. Aside from all of that I am ready to roll.

Don

I am really terrible about taking pictures at shows for some reason. I get so wrapped up in the action that I forget I even have my camera at times. Good thing we all have Gastrick for that job, he is like Joe Camera or something. :D

Don

I was able to get brackets built for mounting the trailing arms and rear coilovers on the roadster. Still have to weld in gussets and a few other things and also need to mount the panhard bar. Maybe today!

PB110001.jpg

PB110002.jpg

I actually got a few things done this weekend. Snow and in the single digits so no outside jobs. I got my drive line installed in the Terraplane and mounted the master brake cylinder. I split the master cylinder and the booster, then put the booster under the dash and the master cylinder on the firewall. I wanted power brakes but didn't like the looks of the booster by the engine. I hope it works! I check this site every day to get ideas and motivation. Don't post much, but share enjoy the posts.

Latest posts

Back