What do you guys think of this frame?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

So I'm getting ready to start another model A sedan project. Looking for a more traditional look this time (higher in the air, tall & skinny tires, etc).

Anyway I'm looking to cheat this time and buy a frame. I really like the looks of this one, my only question is the ladder bars.

Anyone ever driven a rod over rough roads with a ladder bar design like this? I know 4-link is the best but these ladder bars look so much cooler.

Roads in H-town are terrible, so it needs to ride decent or I wont drive it.

What say ye??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rat-Rod-Mod...t=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Over on the other-white-meat forum, they have been saying that riley automotive has been flakey (as in not delivering goods that were paid for).

You might want to do some research.

If I was gonna build an A, it would have 32 rails under it.

Over on the other-white-meat forum, they have been saying that riley automotive has been flakey (as in not delivering goods that were paid for).

You might want to do some research.

If I was gonna build an A, it would have 32 rails under it.

I saw that over there. If you were to buy it. Buy it through Ebay and pay for it with Paypal.

I was just going to warn you of the same thing. Riley has had numerous bad reports posted about them sending nothing or half the order. It is a shame because the frame actually looks pretty well done.

Go on the HAMB and search Riley Automotive. Here is one such thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649324&highlight=riley+automotive

Not to promote sales for anyone, but there are at least two companies who are members here who do this kind of work and they are very honest and reasonable. Maybe you should check them out. Oh, and that type of suspension is really fine.

Don

Last edited:
Frames

Go to this web site boiling brothers hotrods.com my friend bought 1928 model a frame it was nice, good service every time we called him he talk to you like a fellow hot rodder and always returns calls, you won't go wrong with his frame

Cornfield Customs on here had a 32 chassis for sale if I remember right. It was all new and a good price.

Yikes - glad I asked!

32 is the way to go definitey but those frames are double to triple the price.

I may not have to worry about it. Just bought a 30 Tudor body on a pretty decent rolling chassis. Pics to come soon!

Yikes - glad I asked!

32 is the way to go definitey but those frames are double to triple the price.

I may not have to worry about it. Just bought a 30 Tudor body on a pretty decent rolling chassis. Pics to come soon!

A few bucks on the front end will be more than paid back when it comes time to sell.

I too am looking at buying a frame from Riley, his feed back on the frames Via ebay is pretty damn good

just saying........................

very nice frame and fast shipment....THANKS !!!
Member id minipyp ( Feedback Score Of 138)
May-22-12 12:06
Hot Rod DeLuxe frame double Z Riley Automotive built (#200594212092)
US $1,800.00

The changes to the frame for my quickchange rear end i was very satisfied,THANKS
Member id 192957 ( Feedback Score Of 112)
May-15-12 05:27
Custom model A frame Swept front Z'd Rear, Riley Auto! (#200483689750)

US $1,275.00

very good dealing very Honest dude.Thanks
Member id sessml ( Feedback Score Of 281)
Apr-27-12 21:08
Dropped axle front end complete chrome, drilled HOT ROD (#200688161206)

US $2,900.00

Super nice frame, excellent craftsmanship, Built Right, very satisfied. A+++++++
Member id masrace24 ( Feedback Score Of 112)
Nov-10-11 14:09
Hot Rod DeLuxe frame double Z Riley Automotive built (#200594212092)

US $1,800.00

Great product at a fair price, well engineered and made. Also great advice
Member id cspr9989 ( Feedback Score Of 12)
Nov-09-11 19:45
Rat Rod Model A Ford frame, Swept and Z'd Trad Hot Rod (#200551811654)

US $1,275.00

IGo on the HAMB and search Riley Automotive. Here is one such thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649324&highlight=riley+automotive

from the OP of the linked thread

edwardlloyd
Alliance Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12/05/2011

Eric has refunded me the outstanding balance in full. Let's all put this behind us now and give the guy a chance to start afresh. Please no more calls and mails to Eric regarding this matter. Thank you all for your support.
Despite all water under the bridge I hope Eric can now pull through this and wish him a successful new start for 2012.
God bless
Ed

Martf,,,,, it wasnt just Ed and he made good. Eric burned quite a few people. I don't have a dog in this fight, but man, do some research before dealing with him.

thanks for the heads up, Not much more I can do, good reviews from flea bay, bad reviews from the HAMB.............. where do you go now?

Well least if I go through paypal Ill have a venue to get my $$$$ if things got sidways.

Im only about a 14 hrs drive from his place, Id have no problem making a road trip

who else is a good frame builder?

THAT I can not do from scratch, I wish I could! Thats the only thing Im having to out sourch

You were saying the 32 frame is too expensive, but they really aren't. You can buy a pair of side rails everywhere, like Honest Charlies, for $ 695 a pair, and by the time you add front and rear crossmembers you are under $1000. You would have to add an X member, but you want to do your own anyway to work with your specific application.

Just sayin'. :)

Don

This is project I acquired this weekend. It was going to be a full fendered street rod. The frame is built well, out of 1/4" 2x4 tubing and looks OK. The rear suspension is homemade ladder bars that I will have to switch to a 4-link.

I'm on the fence about working with this frame or buying a new one that's all pretty.

Opinions wanted!

Attachments

• P9020150.jpg
    P9020150.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 14
  • P9020151.jpg
    P9020151.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 14
  • P9020152.jpg
    P9020152.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P9020153.jpg