What do you have invested in your toy?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
Just added the latest expenses to my sheet totaling up what I have spent on the Dodge so far. Does anyone else keep track dollar for dollar on what they spend on theirs? I keep track to the nearest dollar on what I have spent on mine for parts and accessories, tools and what not do not apply here.

So far my grand total is at $2996.

2 much

too much in all the project rods l'm doing:eek:

l am an expert at buying high and selling low:(

about 3k in the dodge truck.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
To do this right you have to keep track of every little purchase you do related to your project. I'm talking about bolts, nuts, sandpaper, grinding discs, body putty, primer, paint, wire, wire connectors, any special tools you might have to buy just for a job on it, etc,

You would be AMAZED how much you spend of little stuff. Every time I run out to Ace Hardware or Home Depot for some small parts the bag is very small and I end up spending $ 25- $100. Nobody counts that stuff in, we just tally up the headers, motor parts, tires, etc....the big stuff.

One time I drove my T to a gas station and a guy came up and was admiring it. He said, "Some day I should drop off $ 10,000 and let you build me one of these !" When I told him I probably had twice that in parts, and I did all the labor myself, he looked at me like I was nuts. But that is the reality of building a car from the ground up.

Don

yep

as we used to say when dad and l raced, 50k worth of stuff to keep a 5k car alive:eek:

so mr.Gretsch, l think the same rule apply's to rodding.:D

Later :cool:

well, i counted my parts--including the nutz n boltz....and i figured it wasnt too bad...:eek: 2500 but i did alot of "trading" for bigger stuff
then i changed heads intake n headers since then, and lost track of prices lol

but then i estimated the amount of time i have spent on it in the last Twelve years and came up with (drum roll please)

seven hundred twelve thousand three hundred seventeen dollars and fifty three cents... but i was just estimating...;)

Does all the stuff you put on and then say, i don't think i like that now that i see, i have three sets of tires and wheels, two drive trains, 1- 4 banger, then i said i should a had a V8.
If you just count the parts on the road now, less than $3K
But, changing you mind is how we progress, i think?

Riiiiiight, because that engine lift and welder are each great for so many other things. [cl

If you are like me and have had your welders for a while, 3 engine stands, one shop crane aka motor lift, etc.... then no I don't think those apply because to me they are good for other things.

Hey man... my wife looks in occassionally... r u tryin' to get me n trouble?![ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

Yes

To do this right you have to keep track of every little purchase you do related to your project. I'm talking about bolts, nuts, sandpaper, grinding discs, body putty, primer, paint, wire, wire connectors, any special tools you might have to buy just for a job on it, etc,

You would be AMAZED how much you spend of little stuff. Every time I run out to Ace Hardware or Home Depot for some small parts the bag is very small and I end up spending $ 25- $100. Nobody counts that stuff in, we just tally up the headers, motor parts, tires, etc....the big stuff.

One time I drove my T to a gas station and a guy came up and was admiring it. He said, "Some day I should drop off $ 10,000 and let you build me one of these !" When I told him I probably had twice that in parts, and I did all the labor myself, he looked at me like I was nuts. But that is the reality of building a car from the ground up.

Don

My tally doesn't have EVERY nut and bolt, but pretty close. I have had a lot of stuff donated for mine though too such as the new valves tank and compressor for my air ride. That was a big expense that I did not have to pay. Also on my spread sheet that I keep running for my project I keep track of everything that I bought for the truck and decided not to use then resold and for how much I sold it for etc... I do the same thing for every project I have.

so for about $1400.00 but i'm not done, i still have brakes, wiring, tires/wheels, paint and inter. but hope to come in under $3000.00

Since we aren't talking about making a business profitable, I say ignore overhead, consumables, tools, etc. Otherwise I'm going to subtract off the money I 'saved' from not getting a DUI driving home from the bar I wasn't at.

Don't harsh my rat rodding buzz man! :p

Since we aren't talking about making a business profitable, I say ignore overhead, consumables, tools, etc. Otherwise I'm going to subtract off the money I 'saved' from not getting a DUI driving home from the bar I wasn't at.

Don't harsh my rat rodding buzz man! :p

Well put sir.... [cl

I started my ride with the idea i could do it cheap, but after buying all the stuff to build it the way i wanted-well dam im broke, the motor alone ive got 5k$ by itself, but i like a big motor[dr

Latest posts

Back