What do you heat your garage with?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frequently I light my clothes on fire while working in the garage. Keeps me warm.

Generally though I heat with natural gas that arrives magically from a plastic pipe buried in the ground and goes into an overhead forced air heater.

improving last years

wasnt going to show you till I was done but since Im at the computer insted of in the shop heres what I got so far. the first pic is last year. wanted to put more heat inside the shop so I made some changes. Im still ganna run the chimney out the side insted of the top, a little cheeper(well, the first pic is not the heater, but the revised version is a lot bigger. 4 1964 17" rims and some metal flat stock off a utility bed. got a week off of work in a couple weeks and hope to have some heat in my shop by then

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 52
BBQ heater

I have a neighbor that only gets to work in his shop on the weekends. He brings his smoker in his 24x30 in late Oct. Plumbs a exhaust pipe outside. He starts his flame early sat morning and runs till late sun afternoon. The whole weekend he cooks while he works on his motorcycles. Brisket, Pork Butts, etc. He gets plenty of help, buddies bring beer when they show up, and he doesnt have to cook all week! Ill try to get some pics this weekend.

Jim

I use a 180K propane heater to heat a 32 x 36 x 12 foot high garage. I run it on high for 10 minutes then turn if off and maintain the heat with a 80 natural gas heater. Works great!!

i've got two barrels screwed together in a 32X36 garage with an 18 foot uninsulated garage door burning pallets from work when the wife gets cold she keeps putting the wood to it was over 95 degrees in there last night and the floresent lights were starting to go out

95??????????

How the heck can you work in there???! When you say two barrels you mean stacked one above the other? Burning in the lower and heating the upper then exhausting?

I'm thinking he's got one of these things, Sarge. It works like you said, the top barrel is a heat exchanger of sorts, and adds more surface area.

barrelheater17120122_2.jpg

They used to sell a kit up here, just the cast pieces, you supply the barrels. I've been in shops with these monsters, they'll freakin' roast you out!

Dont do this !!!!!

I was freeeeeezing my ass off in my garage last week, an I had a "Rocket-Surgeon" type idea. I dragged the gas grill inside the garage and fired it off. It was feeling right toasty standing in front of it, until I started feeling sick. Long story short, i got a touch of carbon monoxide poisoning. Apparently, it needs to have an exhaust going outside. I dragged it back out to the patio and have vowed to never do that again. Thankfully I didnt thin out the gene pool by dying.

I've tried it all, and the "barrel" heaters and "waste oil" heaters work good, but the main problem is they are high maintenance.
You have to gather wood, or hunt down waste oil, then light the fire, wait for it to heat up.....you spend more time working on the heat then working on your car. Then you have to clean them when you get done.

So for a couple of years I used a propane forced air heater, and liked it. The problem with it is, when the propane bottle gets low, or starts to freeze up (from running too long) it causes the heater to put out a lot of fumes and CO. The fumes burn your eyes and nose. The propane bottles can be a hassle to mess with too, I live 30 miles from town so swaping bottles at 11:30pm isn't fun.

NOW, I have a Kerosene/Fuel Oil forced air heater and LOVE it. What go me hooked on these is my uncle has one, a Reddy Heater.
thumbnail.aspx

It's got a built in thermostat, 170,000 BTUs, it turns on and off to keep a comfortable room temperature, it's low mantenance, and doesn't take up a lot of space. It can easily be stored away in the summer time.

Mine is a small cheap one. Gave $35 for it at a thrift store.
thumbnail.aspx

It doesn't have the features, only on or off, but it's still great.
And my big secret.....I run it on a diesel/gasoline mix. (about 60/40)

And my big secret.....I run it on a diesel/gasoline mix. (about 60/40)

Cost: about $3.50 a gallon.
Runs: about 2 Hours per gallon
(Thats contanly running, which I rarely do because it will roast you out of a 2 car garage. The heater runs for about 45 minutes for initial warming, then 20 minutes on/ 40 minutes off to maintain warmth.)

No they are fastened end to end so I can put in 52 in. boards and logs in also it is under the table that i use to weld and have my vise on its about the only thing i can keep the top half way clean every other bench i have has a bunch of crap on it

Latest posts

Back