What does everyone do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to school to be a shop teacher but found out it's dangerous being in a class with 25 teenagers with tools in their hands, all bent on destruction. So, I worked for a BIG company in a manufacturing plant for 32 years. We made hair spray, shampoo, deodorant, etc. I had many technical and non-technical positions, one of which entailed traveling to Hong Hong, Japan, Taiwan, Germany and Ireland. At various times I was Manager of Maintenance, Engineering and Quality. I saved my pennies and the company threw in quite a bit of $$$, so I retired at 55. That was 12 years ago. I've built one hot rod or drag car each year since then.

My main job is a Collision Mechanic. IVe spent most of my career repairing Benz's and BMW's, but I'm also the special projects guy. When ever there is a big restoration or some custome fab work I'm the guy they point the finger at.......... they seem to be pointing at me alot though. :eek:

I'm into my third career...
First ...I spent 12 years behind a desk designing conveying systems for large warehouses.

Got tired of sitting behind a desk and went out on the road servicing and installing photo processing equipment all over the country (including Hawaii and the Caribbean). Did that for a little over 10 years until the film part of the industry went into the crapper (I was a victim of Kodak and Fuji down sizing).

These days....I work in a machine shop. I run the second shift EDM department (for those who are curious it means Electrical Discharge Machining). I also run a swiss screw machine from time to time. We make lots of things used in the medical industry...everything from bone and spinal screws and plates to the little jaws used to clear blockages in your ateries to stents to pace maker and laser parts (I figure this career should be around for a while since people are always getting sick or hurt).

jobs

I am self employed. I own a motorcycle repair and custom shop. Been going at it for 2 years running right now. Wife told me she was pregnant, so i figured i better do something while i had the chance. Never looked back. Now i have something to hand down to my son.

Thanks Ron, I am probably using some of your plates and screws.

Yeah me too. I did a high speed get off on a bike and have a few pieces of medical hardware to speak of.

Trust me guys I have made use of some of the stuff we make too, and that is always at the back of my mind when I'm running stuff...."this could end up in me one day....make it right!"

I'm sorry you've had to make use of the products, but glad that they are doing their job and helping put you back together

I'm retired Gas appliance installer also worked in the shipyard as a ship fitter my early years.

Exdriver

Drove semi trucks for 20 years till I got tired of it .
Now I work at the local Wal- Mart and do odd jobs on the side
If you need it done call me is what I tell everyone
:cool:

i work for dad and have for 36 years, get paid good, have ins, co. car, cell phone, etc and will be leaving as soon as the times get better. i will miss all of those $$$ things but i want more of what you guys seem to have. Happyness

work

I am a Systems Maintainer for the MTA, Baltimore (Maryland) Light Rail Division. My job includes maintain, troubleshoot, and repair Traction Power, Signals, and Switches on the line. Its the dream job I never knew existed until last fall. I've loved trains since before I loved cars, and always liked electronics, too. Been there since April of this year.

Before that, I was an auto mechanic for 24 years, including working my way through high school and college. My specialty was transmissions. I will say this: being a mechanic full-time darned near ruined the hobby for me and put me in the poor house no matter how much I made. :eek: At least the tools are paid for... :p

440shorty

P.S. I change a lot of light bulbs at work :rolleyes:

Am currently a Bradley Fighting Vehicle Weapons System Technician. Also a 20 year Army retiree. Have been turning wrenches for the last 40 years & am currently trying to get a small side business off the ground.

Latest posts

Back