What engine's are in these cars?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Classic_Crime_Inc

I'm sort of new to engines, trying to learn as much as possible..I really like the engine in these cars..manly I like the stacks on top of em.. just wondering what this engine is, what are the pipes? any info will help..thanks

VD2.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

110652906_308a0fbc66.jpg

l_aa96b339da796c818e4c29f1ae33ea9d.jpg

lg7bc4_3.jpg

Last edited:
They all look to be small block chevies to me. The stacks and exhaust are most likely built by the owner/builder (Voodoo Larry) on the first car. The lakes style headers can be bought off the shelf, or as a kit from speedway motors.

Every carb stack in all the photo's is exhaust tubing.

They all look to be small block chevies to me. The stacks and exhaust are most likely built by the owner/builder (Voodoo Larry) on the first car. The lakes style headers can be bought off the shelf, or as a kit from speedway motors.

Every carb stack in all the photo's is exhaust tubing.

sounds good, I'm looking at a 350 and wanted to the do the tall pipes like that but wasent sure if they were ford or some other manufacter motor..so is there a special carb to run to use those tall pipes?

Those carbs are either Stromberg 97's or Holley 94's, both are a 3 bolt base designed for a flathead ford. Stromberg 97's can go for 50 to 100 bucks for a good CORE....there kinda high dollar. Since the stacks are homemade, and the kind of carb you'll be using depends on the intake manifold you get, you need to get your whille induction system together, then build your stacks.

I'm getting the feeling that you don't know much at all about cars....thats okay, we all started out that way....but your choice of car style is not exactly an easy build for a novice, in fact, once you get into frame and steering geometery, it can be outright dangerous. Hopefully you have somone near you with some experience to help you along.

BTW, I think the midget/dwarf/little person ( I hope I got the PC term in there somewhere) is pretty funny....He might even fit in that car relatively comfortably.

yeah I'm a young guy and new to this..but I have a guy building my frame and all that..he's done a few rods and race cars..saftey first..I'm trying to learn along the way threw here and friends..and eventually get enough knowledge later down the road and I'll be able to do it without help

now I had another question there is a guy who wants to trade me his 427 motor and 400 trans for my truck that I'm selling..I'm just wondering if a motor like that would be too big for a '30 coupe rod

It all depends on the frame you build.....build it stout enough, with a good K or X style center section to limit twist, and you can put anything you want in it.

427? You'll shoot yer eye out kid.

Some would say there is no such thing as too big when it comes to motor! Like A-bomb was saying, you can always beef it all up to match. Don't forget you'll also need a solid front suspension to handle it. It'll put a few more $ on the build sheet, but is it worth it - oh yeah.

Talk with the guy who is doing up your frame, I'd guess he can give you an idea if it's what your after.

yeah I dont plan on doing the 427 but figured I'd ask just so I know..I want to run a 350 and do one of the carbs mentioned above and use the "homemade" stacks..I really like the look of those, especially on a car with a nice chop...I seen you said they were designed for flathead fords which is what I thought they were designed for but will they still work on the chevy 350 small block?

A carb doesn't know what engine it's on. With the proper combination and
tuning most any carb/carbs will work. And the pipes are just pipes or stacks. You can put those on any carb. They just have to be the right diameter to fit.

Personally I wouldn't run any engine without an air filter on it if you want it to last. But these are things you'll have to decide on. Do you want to look cool or have reliability, comfort, functionality, safety etc.

anyone else run a system like this on here? any problems? you make a good point about the air cleaner..this is going to be a tough decision, I really like the look of these but I may end up going with an old caddy air cleaner instead

I've been doing re-search it's defiantly not cheap..theres one on ebay right now an edelbrock x1 crossram manifold three bolt pattern for the 6 stromberg 97's for around $1,250

I'm sort of new to engines, trying to learn as much as possible..I really like the engine in these cars..manly I like the stacks on top of em.. just wondering what this engine is, what are the pipes? any info will help..thanks

VD2.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

110652906_308a0fbc66.jpg

l_aa96b339da796c818e4c29f1ae33ea9d.jpg

lg7bc4_3.jpg
The first one is Larry Grobes Diablo. I believe the motor is a 305. He made the stacks. I'm with DMW, run filters unless it's at a show. It looks coool with the stacks though.

That's for 2 Carter carbs. 389s are great engines though. I would use one over a Chevy.

yeah found it on craigslist..right near the ice arena where I play hockey..but I also found another one a guy who lives about an hour away has one with the intake and 6 stromberg 97's already on it..but I found him on the HAMB and I think he's going to want a sh*t load for it...but hopefully I can work some sort of deal and could get engine/trans/intake/strombergs and all that in one shot for a decent price

and then I think I'll just run the stack pipes at shows like someone said above and use those small air cleaners when driving around town or whatever

new questions: whats the diffrence between the strombergs or hollys and the ford ecg carbs? will the ecgs work in an offy 6x2?

do they make rebuild kits? if so how much is it normally to rebuild one and what does it invovle?

anyone ever polish their 6x2 manifold? what all needs to be done to get it nice and shiny?

Last edited:
Stromburgs and Holley are both carbs, but they are different from each other, they are different makes. Just like Ford and Chev are both cars, but they are different, different makes. Is one better than the other? Depends who you talk to. Just like Chev and Ford. Is one better than the other? Depends who you talk to, and what they like. Stromburg seems to have a stronger demand right now, mainly because of the 'traditional rod owners' wanting them. They were the hot ticket back in the day, so the demand is there. Stromburg and Holley used the same bolt pattern on the base, but that's about it. One thing to watch for is the spacing of the carbs on the intake. If the carb spacing is real close on multi carb set up, Stromburgs will likely work, but the Holley's may interfere with each other. They are just a hair deeper from front to back. Not much, but just enough on some early intakes. Carb kits are available for Holley's with the newer seals and pump rubbers so todays fuel won't swell them up and cause a lot of grief. I paid 28.00 US each for the kits I got, an ebay find. The ECG carb you mention is just a Holley 94. There are 17 different carb models of the 94. Chandler-Grove was a big player in the early years building them for Ford. Holley received the contract later on, because of Henry Ford getting Holley to build them a few cents cheaper. Seems there was another manufacture or two, but I don't recall the name off the top of my head. The Holley has been around since the mid 30's to around 1958. It was used on a lot of the gas powered trucks back then Reo, International, GMC, and so on. After market carbs of the same design were used by the dune buggy crowd when it was a hot item in the 70's. Rebuilding is a simple deal, not much to them, but don't mix up the parts. The 17 different models have some differences, mainly internal parts. The swap meet find may be a mixture of what was left over on someone's bench, and sold as a complete carb. Try and get that to run right! I have a fair amount of info I've gathered up on the Holley. If your interested, PM your email address and I'll forward what I have. Offer open to anyone looking for the same info, just mention the Holley info so I know what your looking for. Sniper

the 6x is really gonna cost ya, and it is going to be a lot harder to tune. The 3x will be way easier to tune if you run a progressive set up - (middle opens first, outsides open late) Even if you run the 6x like that, you'll need to match the 2 middle carbs. Add to the cost an extra 3 carbs and all the trimmings.

Do 3 94's or 97's have enough CFM for a 350?

Stromberg 97's are 150 cfm each.

Holley 94's are 155 cfm to 185 cfm each, depending on the variation.

I think my 2110's are rate at 200 cfm (not as pretty, but cheaper). That's pushing it for my little 292, but running progressive, I think I can set the secondaries to compensate.

Latest posts

Back