What features do you consider "obligatory" on a Rat Rod?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the input, lots of sound advice and encouragement! I definitely want to be safe and dependable and I'm sure a comfy seat for the missus will be high on the priority list as well:D I've posted a few pics of my Willys project over on my intro thread "just came in from the garage". If any of you have any ideas or suggestions for this particular make and model I'd be glad to hear them. Also hope to start a build thread soon. [;)[;) Thanks again for the input.

Ray

I think it's not so much features but absence of features like:

Anything billet, LED lights, modern shiny wheels & lo-pro tires, tweed & carpet interiors, power windows, modern stereo, etc. Basically the stuff you see on Boyd's cars.

Also you should have built as much of it as your skill allows. The less checks written for skilled labor the better. [;)

Required!!!!

Did someone say Red Wheels? And ya gotta have a Mermaid Gear Selector, and last but not least the ever popular bottle opener....

Attachments

• PC100571.jpg
    PC100571.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 25
  • PC100575.jpg
    PC100575.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 20
  • PC100586.jpg
    PC100586.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 21
Must have a floor in it. I see too many rats with the trans & driveshaft exposed. Ever blow apart a trans or see a driveshaft come apart? I have and if yer sittin next to it, its gonna kill ya, or mame ya good.

me too..

Back in my wild days, had a flywheel damn near come through the floorboard. Scared the hell out of me, lol.. If it had gotten through, let's just say I wouldn't want a fragmented flywheel flying up at me.. Also had an issue with a thrown driveshaft. That aint pretty either, and now always put a loop around them.

Besides, floorboards can me a nice place to put your feet, hahha..

I think it's not so much features but absence of features like:

Anything billet, LED lights, modern shiny wheels & lo-pro tires, tweed & carpet interiors, power windows, modern stereo, etc. Basically the stuff you see on Boyd's cars.

Also you should have built as much of it as your skill allows. The less checks written for skilled labor the better. [;)

...and I thought my truck was a rat.
140a.jpg

HPIM0439.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

Personally, I don't have any problem with LED lights, as long as they are for function like tails, turns etc. But when ya put them on as fashion statement or under the running boards, THATS a problem..

I don't have a problem with anything that people build as long as it makes them happy. I'll put on anything that catches my fancy and I really don't give a hoot what anyone thinks! Am I being too harsh?:D...CR

BTW Flipper, I love the Truck!

Hey Flipper. I never saw those tail lights - those are neat!

from my build thread

Here are pics of my turn signals.

HPIM0437.jpg

With the lense removed. The arrow is made from 2 LED clearance lights from Wally-world.
HPIM0439.jpg

These were the left overs from the clearance lights (some cutting required)
HPIM0440.jpg

I made a bracket from a piece of jaguar XJS chrome (I recycle)
HPIM0441.jpg

I re-used the OLD turn signal switch that was in the truck when I bought it (spray-bombed of course). The wires are pulled through a piece of un-shrunk heat-shrink tubing. Looks nice and it was damn near free.
HPIM0454.jpg

I don't have a problem with anything that people build as long as it makes them happy. I'll put on anything that catches my fancy and I really don't give a hoot what anyone thinks! Am I being too harsh?:D...CR

BTW Flipper, I love the Truck!
Nope, not too harsh. There is plenty of room for everyone to enjoy cars in their own way. I guess if we dislike people who have their nose in the air about their kind of car, we should try not to be that way about ours.

Latest posts

Back