What hinders you from workin on your project?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work at least 6 days a week in the garage. Never less than a couple hours. When money is short I do labor intensive stuff. Got 2 projects going and a couple in the planning stages. Unfortunately, now days I have to sell one to build another one.

I am retired and the kids are gone. I do help baby sit and dog sit two days a week so it is in the garage after supper on those days.

Contrary to popular lore I am not getting better with age (70). There are guys way less than half my age on RRR doing very high quality, creative work. Also, age is taking its toll on my hands and just getting up off the floor requires preplanning.

For me, the number one, main, super important thing that overcomes all the hinderances is: Enthusiasm.

Right here buddy. 1.5 yr old little monster. How young is too young to start welding?

Attachments

• Jack 17 mos.jpg
    Jack 17 mos.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 6
Nothing...I go at it like fighting fire, I can't imagine taking years on a project. The longest I ever spent on a project was 8 months.

From this...

M114A1_04.jpg

M114A1_07.jpg

To this...

M114_02_02_02_int06.jpg

M114A1_49.jpg

If you do something everyday it makes it go so much faster, even if it's only cleaning some bolts.

For me it is my back. I am in constant pain and after working 40 hours a week I have hardly any energy left. I do try to spend a couple hours every weekend working on my car. Right now I am taking it to bare metal to get ready for paint. I do spend 15-30 minutes a day removing paint, almost have one side down to the metal. The plus side is I am finding very minimal rust. Money slows me down but I buy things I need a little at a time, almost always there is something to do that is just labor.

Funny thing about age....

I work at least 6 days a week in the garage. Never less than a couple hours. When money is short I do labor intensive stuff. Got 2 projects going and a couple in the planning stages. Unfortunately, now days I have to sell one to build another one.

I am retired and the kids are gone. I do help baby sit and dog sit two days a week so it is in the garage after supper on those days.

Contrary to popular lore I am not getting better with age (70). There are guys way less than half my age on RRR doing very high quality, creative work. Also, age is taking its toll on my hands and just getting up off the floor requires preplanning.

For me, the number one, main, super important thing that overcomes all the hinderances is: Enthusiasm.

I got onto the creeper this morning to undercoat the bed side and when I got up, I pulled a muscle or did something to my ribcage....so it's off to the Chiropractor tomorrow morning to see if he can move it around.....

I'm not doing to bad . but time is what I fight most 14 hr shifts nights to boot and that shop is pretty cold on my nights off.....But summer is coming so those nights in the shop will be nice ..so for now I'm stocking up on the parts motor trans the high ticket stuff >>>Chip

Skill... I started trying to chop the top on my car at the end of last year. But the front of the top got twisted somehow. Tryed to figure out how to fix it. Never could figure it out so I got discouraged and quit:(.

Isn't there someone that you know who is into

Skill... I started trying to chop the top on my car at the end of last year. But the front of the top got twisted somehow. Tryed to figure out how to fix it. Never could figure it out so I got discouraged and quit:(.

bodywork or such that could help you along?? Maybe another rr'der that can help you? Post some pics and maybe somebody here can help you figure it out...might not be as bad as you think....

family, work, cold, keeping the daily driver driving, sleep, searching craigslist, and chasing my wife around. I could live without the cold. I want to work on my rat rod but right now it seems like life just gets in the way.

I get to where lack of help or just alone in the shop gets old.It used to be a way to unwind but now my son is grown and moved off and my work has changed, to being self employed (my own boss)so stress has been reduced.
I do still piddle just dont stay hooked up as long.

Latest posts

Back