what sending unit for my fuel tank to use?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJ

I got a poly fuel tank for my 1954 Chevy car I do not have a 12volt sending unit or gauge anyone tell me the best combo? I am going to buy a different gauge and fit it in the original dash Is there a universal kit?[S

I'm guessin you converted to a 12v system? If you have a 12v and a 6v gauge you can get a step down.

Toad

Be aware of the ohms of the sending unit and the gauge. They have to be the same. With that poly tank you will have to run a separate ground to the sending unit from the frame or another good ground.

I have a wire harness on the way there is not much left of the 6 volt system I have to buy a new sending unit so I plan on getting a 12v. I looked in speedway they did have a sending unit and gauge kit I dont see it in there new book I havent looked on line. I looked for kit in summit no luck. I know there is one out there I have seen them but I didnt need it then. And thanks for the heads up on the ground to the frame I may have not thought of that (My first poly tank). I never really planned on using my factory gauge and I do not know what ohms the gauge would be? anyone know?

Check out Classic Instruments for data on what the ohms were in the 54 Chevy. Looks like it is a 0-30 ohms and the have a sender part # sn36. By using that you could use the original gauge in the dash. I THINK. Might want to give them a call. Here again I THINK they can convert your original gauge to 12 volts if that is what you would like to do.

http://www.classicinstruments.com/index.aspx?documentID=senders

I have been reading and the factory sending unit will not fit the tank I bought. It is from tanks I will keep looking they do not show sending units on there web page.

Classic has the small unit that will fit in your tank, it just has the correct ohms to work with the stock gauge.

Thanks RPM the sending unit that classc has looks like it will work. I new someone could help me on here. I am hoping that my gauge is good in my cluster or the one in my parts car. Time will tell I am going to be a little while before I get it in I am gathering parts.
Thank again

Latest posts

Back