What small block chevys use the same cam (from factory)?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongrot

I have a stock Pontiac 301 & I would like to put a cam in that has a bit more lift for that nice lopey idle but I can't afford an aftermarket cam (& I don't see the point of putting a new cam in without rebuilding the entire engine). So my question is: What STOCK small block would have a cam that is bigger & would fit in my 301? What small block Chevys use the same cam (from factory)? I heard the 400 has a larger cam than the 301/305 or 350. Is this true? Is that why the high performance Pontiac 355 engines came stock with a 400 cam? This is confusing me, especially since some aftermarket cams say they will fit all SBCs.....

301 pontiac is a pontiac not a chevrolet and about the only thing that will interchange is the carb and dist. cap. i don't know if the 326 - 455 pontiac cams will interchange with the 301 or not. i do know you will never make good power with that motor, the intake port design is going to kill it. maybe sargent pontiac will chim in.

A friend of mine used an aftermarket cam in his 301, if I am correct the
301-455 pontiac cams are interchangeable. That being the case, which Pontiac engine would have a cam with slightly more lift? or are do they have the exact same specs?

That being said, will a Pontiac 400 camshaft fit into a chevy 400?

no the pontiac is different from the chevy, two totally different motors as well as the buick and the oldsmobile. all of them had 400's and three of them had 455's one had the 454. the only cams that would come to mine would be the ram air cams, the ho and sd cams. i really believe you could buy a good aftermarket cam and lifters for a good price, cheaper then a factory replacement cam would cost.

Latest posts

Back