What Suspension do i need for model A ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo 1962

I have a model a coupe that i was wanting to make into a hot rod. but not sure what suspension will work??box the stock frame and use it? that would drive down the road nice,and not cost me arm & leg.thanks

Lucky for you , there are a ton of options here. Almost any of them will work. But first you have to ask what the look is you are going for here. Next what your budget is for this suspension. Lets talk about front suspensions first. Parallel front leaves are probably the cheapest. The disadvantage is that the frame has to come out far enough to connect to the front of the leaves. You can get the height down by putting the axle above the springs.
As you start looking at this, you realize that the front axle is also where the front brakes are. If you are going over to disc brakes, now is a good time to start thinking about that as well. Full front axles with suspension, and disc brakes, and a transverse springs will run about $1600.00 new. But you could also just buy the parts you need.
With those springs you need to locate the axle with wishbones, hairpins, or links. You would need the same links to run a coil front end. (or airbags)

If you go the junk yard route, an old axle from a ford van or pickup is a great start, though most will have drum brakes, and will be set up for leaf springs. But you can change this stuff around..... I guess next we need to know what you have for skills and equipment. Welder?

These are just a few choices, there are many more.

Yep,Econoline axles work great.
I have one of those and 2 Chevy G10 axles at shop now waiting to be used on my future projects.I bought all the econoline axles my parts yard had,so they showed me the G10 chevy.Looks exactly the same except it has finned drums.

Yes, I have a welder,chop saw,torch, and lots of hand tools.What years of ford van do i need to look for? What about the rearend? i can look for that also. Thanks

what ddo you planon for horsepower. If you are not going for crazy amounts the ford 8 inch will work and is cheap. same for s10 rear ends again lots of them and they are cheap. even can get disc brake

Depends on what look you want. I tend to build 50's style hot rods so I use dropped straight axle front ends under everything. A model a frame can be boxed and proper crossmembers added to make it more than strong enough for any hot rod.

Here is the one under my 27, I built this one over 20 years ago and the frame and suspension are the same ones that have been under it all that time. It goes right down the road and handles all the hp I can put to it.

Don

27uponall4009.jpg

And I do abuse it a bit.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwVJRrX2vj4&list=UUmYW8IIZ4wJrYn12L7GNkyQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back