What the hell did I buy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merc52

I was told it's a t cowl?.? If so anyone got the rest of it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 77
Well I got the cowl a set of headlights and bar and he threw a windshield of unknown origin in with the deal for $50. I'll post pics of them when I get then cleaned up a little.
Pluse I plan to go back for a t bucket chassis when I have alittlt more money

The dude had headlights galore wire wheels vintage crager rims 36 ford hood and some year of model a hood t and a grill shells like a mad man. Had a hot rod Plymouth valiant with the almighty slant 6 with speed parts.

The cowl being the hard part to fabricate it is easy to fab the rest of a squared off roadster pickup body or just add a hood and radiator shell and you have a tradional speedster. Good score Merc.

I thought about a radical roadster truck when I seen it. I'll be going to a swap meet in 46 days looking for doors for it if I can nail a year down... But that was a thought. Gotta get the first one done first

Going by memory, I think that is one of the earlier ones (not a "1923", but more like 1915 or something) and it may be a closed car. The earlier ones have a smaller firewall.

edit: Looking online, it may be 26-27 closed car cowl. All of the earlier ones have that raised bead in the corners. Also the fresh air vent doesn't show up in pics of earlier cars.

Last edited:
Going by memory, I think that is one of the earlier ones (not a "1923", but more like 1915 or something) and it may be a closed car. The earlier ones have a smaller firewall.

edit: Looking online, it may be 26-27 closed car cowl. All of the earlier ones have that raised bead in the corners. Also the fresh air vent doesn't show up in pics of earlier cars.

Definitely not '26-27. They didn't slope that much and they ended shy of the A pillars, where this one seems to wrap around to meet the doors. The firewall is much too small as well. Also the '26-27 did not have a cowl vent, even though it looks like it. That was actually access to the fuel tank.

I do believe this is for a closed car, but not convinced it is Ford. If so it is very early, as you said. If not Ford then perhaps an orphan model...

This has got me convinced. It's around 23-24-25. I also asked on jalopy journal and most of them say it's around them years sedan or coupe closed car. Not to say it can't be anything else I'm just going by majority rules. I'm going to get measurements for it tonight to confirm that it is or isn't. But still worth $25 no mater what

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 23
build a woody. I would love to find a nice cowl one of these days to use on a Home-Built woody body.

I can find cowls. In fact I have 2 or 3. If Cornfield Customs would show us simple hacks how to make roadster doors, I could rule the world.:p

Couldn't be too hard Bob. Some 1" square tubing and a decent tubing bender you should be able to make doors fairly easily. Hell, I've reframed Chevy bodies with steel so doors should be easy to do. Especially with how square the early cowls are you wouldn't even need much of a radius in the jambs.

Latest posts

Back