What to use for windshield glass

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerplant

Just curious what you folks use for windshield glass. Do you make templates & have a piece cut at a glass shop or do you go with some type of plastic and make it yourself? If so.... what kind of plexiglass / plastic?

Since all my projects have flat glass, I usually bring the windshield frame to the glass shop and they do the rest. I have made templates out of masonite and had flat glass cut to size a couple times. It is always laminated safety glass.

Yup , what Bob said , I made my template out of masonite and the glass shop cut it , it wasn`t as expensive as I thought it would be , $70 for a 2 pc. flat gass windshield.

I do the same as bob w and 24dodge. I make a template and have the glass cut at a glass shop. Speedway sells some material that the say is durable enough to use as a windshield but it's more expensive than just having glass cut.

Sounds like cut glass is the way to go...

I am a little confused as you see plastic fairings on motorcycles and never here any safety concerns. Maybe because it is not flat?

Oh yea... forgot to mention that my glass will all be flat.

Agree with all the others here, most these older 20-30 cars have flat glass. I make my templates from masonite, templates are a good idea, and necessary if your tops chopped, have a glass shop cut them same size as your template. Most shop's offer different tints, and you need to use laminated safety glass, I remember on a previous car , I used the same grey tint on the windshield as all the other windows, needless to say a guy with night blindness shouldn't have done this, oh well live and learn. If you do make templates for all your windows, if for some reason one gets broken, you will have a pattern to get one made, could save some valuable time.

Just had one done for my T a few months ago. Took the frame in and they installed green tinted safety glass. Done in one day and it was only $ 50. I paid the same thing 20 years ago for my '27 windshield so I guess glass has stayed pretty consistent pricewise over the years.

Don

Latest posts

Back