What we have been up to:

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Since I have been absent for a while it would probably be a good idea to bring everyone up to date on what has been keeping us busy.

My main goal right now is to get my Son Dan's roadster pickup on the road. He has been building if for 4 years, and we finally got it up on wheels and fired up the motor for the first time last week. He has had some rough spots, like having the frame powder coated and then the clear started to peel off everything.:eek: The powder coater had to resandblast 43 pieces, including the frame, and start all over again. (no clear this time) But we got through that.

I was thrilled to see Dan so happy when we finally got the Olds engine fired up. We had to break it in at 2000 rpms for a half hour, and then he finally got to hear how lumpy the cam would be idling. He has been worried that his Brothers T bucket idled rougher, and I kept telling him the cam we picked out was wicked. IT WAS!! Here is a little YouTube we did on the fire up. Crank up the speakers......... :D:D

Don

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jWUyJNFAM

That was with baffles in, but he is going to run without them (until he gets stopped) Here is without baffles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq2IHg-QE34&feature=channel

Last edited:
MAn that is a great sounding engine. The black looks kickass too. can't wait to see the completed ride. keep it up.

hey good to see you haven't fallen off the edge of the earth!:D man that is one su-weet looking rollin chassis- and that motor sounds so good i don't know if i'd run w/o baffles (i listened to the clip w/baffles & realized after that there was a w/o baffles clip) can't wait to see more of that one....keep us posted when ya can!!

Everything came out super Don. The combination looks great and the engine sounds awesome. I still haven't baffled my pipes yet either. I love to hear an engine with a lumpy cam.

Will we see it in Daytona?

Thanks guys. Bill, I sure hope he makes it this year. For the past couple of years I've said "he is going this year for sure", so I'm afraid to make any predictions. But he is closer than ever. He still has some big jobs ahead of him like bodywork and that kind of stuff.

I keep pushing him though. :D:D

Don

Amazing work Don! You and your boys have a lot to be proud of! The beautiful noise coming from both the blue T and the black roadster was awesome! Really nice! I love the sound of that cam - oh, man!!! I've actually gone back and watched the videos several times over just to take in the sound generated by that crazy engine!!! It's great to hear from you too! We've missed you here.

Thunder1

Last edited:
Congrats on you guys getting the project along. Another kick butt project coming out of your shop. We miss your posts, but understand you been working on the projects. Some times I think "wheres Don been?" :D:D

Hey, We thought you entered the twightlight Zone!!!! Saw pictures of Dan's frame (on that other forum:p) So I knew some one in the family knew what a wrench was!!:D By the way how are your other projects coming??? You know a Dodge PU and or something to put that flathead in???

Doug:D

Thank you guys for the compliments. I can't take too much credit for any of it, I sweep the floor while Dan does the hard work. :D

As for the Dodge truck, well, it got a little makeover. One night I was taking a break while sitting in my pondering chair, and I started to look at the roadster pickup body Dan gave me when he bought his new Brookville body. I inherited the body, bed, louvered tonneau cover, Model A grille, and some other stuff he wasn't using. (I love dumpster diving )

Anyway, the more I looked at the body and the more I looked at the Dodge truck frame the more I started wondering if the rpu body would fit the Dodge frame. I got out the tape measure and it seemed like it might fit. So the next time Dan was at the shop to help me lift we put the two together, and they fit like they were made for each other. Everything lined up, even the steering column. The bed ended up fitting like a glove too.

Sooooooooo, the Dodge body is going to be used for something else (I do want to build a little bracket drag altered, that might be what it gets used for). While at Billetproof I found a set of 56 Olds hubcaps, and they fit the look perfectly. I am going to run the moon tank up front and the radiator in the bed. I also bit the bullet and bought an engine adapter setup from Bendtsens Transmissions, and a TH350 tranny from Jackson Racing. The old 4 speed hydro just didn't seem like I could trust it on long trips, this should give me pretty good reliability. This is the 4th transmission Jackson has built for us and each one has been great.

I am not really doing anything more to the rpu now because I don't want to have anything get in the way of Dan getting his car on the road. We can spend every free moment working on his if I don't have the other project diverting my attention. Here are some pictures of my "new" rpu. I guess I'm just a diehard roadster guy at heart.

Thanks for asking..............

Don

001-1.jpg

dansframeback2ndtime011.jpg

003.jpg

009.jpg

that sure looks like it would be a fun one!!--i would LOVE to have a little rpu someday.....i may have to just chop the roof off of my 52 truck!:eek::D

Ya know Preach, I am more excited about getting this one done than my T roadster. I plan on painting it just like the dull black original paint, and scuff through some spots. Also want to get some door art, maybe "Don's Speed Shop", and age that a little too. I really want this one to look like it might have existed in 1959 or so.

If I can get Dan's on the road soon enough I might be able to toss this one together in time for Turkey Run at Thanksgiving. After all, I don't have to be to careful with cosmetics. :D:D

Don

Good to see a current post trom you. That engine sounds sweet. Hope t\your boy makes this year. Why can't we build them in a week like Chip or a mounth like Barry on T.V. Oh yea now I remember. We live in the real world.

Glad to see you back, Don. Motor sounds great. I'm sure between you & your son, his car will be ready in time. That lil rpu is going to be nice when you get to it.

Don,
Can you tell me about the headers on Dan's car? Did Dan build those or did he buy them already built? They are absolutely bitchin!!! If they are aftermarket could you find out from who? Those are some of coolest looking I've seen in a long time. I've had my eyes peeled for something really close to them for my small block Chevy.

I'd really appreciate any information,

Thunder - Pat

Latest posts

Back