What year did the ratrod start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat bikes are really a whole different animal. They usually have so much crazy stuff attached to them, that it is hard to really tell that there is a motorcycle under that pile of stuff. It is much closer to being an "art car" than it is a rat rod.

315-2.jpg

scrappy01.jpg

Big-Horn-001.jpg

I think with rat rods there is a little more emphasis on it being an actual car that is identifiable as a car.

If we didn't allow unfinished cars at the show I help put together I couldn't even bring my ride...

I kinda define a true 'rat' rod if it has Craftsman wrenches for shock mounts, rear fenders welded to the front axle (I've seen it!) and an old propane bottle for a gas tank... and 250 Iron crosses and spiderwebs...

If the question is "when did people start building ratty type cars?", the answer would be - SINCE CARS WERE INVENTED !!

If it's "when was the TERM ratrod first used?" then it is very likely that it was indeed the one and only Gray Baskerville (RIP) that flip flop wearin', nitro sniffin', Salt flat lovin' guy. I recall an article he wrote long ago in StreetRodder about 'ratrods" in England, they were real bare bones cars, no new parts, the first time I recall hearing it. He was allways bubbling with hot rod slang words and had lots of other favorite words that may or may not have caught on.

At the very least, he popularized the term and brought it to the masses.

Today, it is loosely used for just about anything by people who have no idea of it's origins or real meaning, just another word......

I've never seen a term become so widely used either. I've had 90 year old men look at my car and say "nice little rat rod you have there." Even people who obviously know zero about cars will say "did you build your rat rod or buy it?" How did these people even hear that term? :confused::confused:

Don

It's fairly new

In the Eighties when I was 16 and building my 31 Ford coupe (purchased as a 14th birthday present by my mom to keep me away from drugs), there was no term Rat Rod! It's really odd how we as a species need to turn everything in a one-better- or-different-than to separate and make things belong to a group. It's truly just a sad way of trying to make something that is mass produced, unique. Think about it; in general, how different are all these cars. Oh, a 32 grill shell; wow! Yeah, but mine’s got spider webs welded on the front! Oh, a small block Chevy, I nevered saw wonner dem before! Oh, a dropped front axle by SuperBell… Getting the picture? Listen here, whether a Model A, B, T, or any year pickup cab on a 2x4 frame, it simply is what it is. We separate, divide, and alienate so many people when we classify. It really sickens me when kids half my age won't look at my pictures on a “special (yeah, right)” site, or make stupid jackass comments about the titles of my image tags. If you are that hung up on a name, you need to truly just get a life – or, maybe, just go buy a project to get out all of that aggression. Remember this, all labels separate one group or exclude another. Sorry for the rant, but think about it and go out and work on your Hot Rod, Billet Queen, Trailer Queen, Rust Bucket, Traditional, Classic, RATROD, or maybe your very own custom Fart Mobile! In the end, I pay for all the parts, I swing the wrenches, and I spend the money that should be going into a new roof or windows on my house; so I think I will start a new label. Yeah, my build is now officially titled the “Money Thief;” certainly seems like a befitting and fair name?

Porkchop

names of groups

just a fact of life that labels are needed. good example is my red truck, new, shiny and finished, would never be confused with a rat or a project vehicle.

labels are used for some shows also, like billitproof or the rat brats only car show, pretty much only beaters, rats and crappy looking cars/trucks are allowed at there shows. then there is the high end shows like goodguys, the autorama and nsra type shows. then there's muscle car only shows, no trucks or any street rods or rats.

so it looks like labels,tags or groups and names are here to stay.just my 5c.

Later:cool:

dad's 32

somewhere I have a pic of my dads 32 roadster he drove home from San Francisco after being discharged from the navy just after WWII. no fenders and the mufflers sawn in half. Family lore says they were after him for several counties but understood after they caught him. maybe not a rat probly just a junker. If I find the photo I will post it
hap

Latest posts

Back