What year is this?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhead

I went to look at a Chevy truck today. The guy said it was a 1945, but it's a 5 window. I'm not an expert in knowing the difference between the models, but didn't 5 windows start after 1947? The truck is complete minus the engine. Is it worth $800?

Anyways, the truck is a 1 ton, with 8 lug axles and manual tranny. I could snap three pictures before my camera died.

Thanks in advance!

DSCF4628.jpg

DSCF4629.jpg

DSCF4630.jpg

For sure not 45. Im not a expert either but i think its a 47-53?:) Someone on here will be able to tell you exact year by the door handles and the 5 windows and the vent type deals (cant remeber what there called) in front of the doors on the sides. hahaha It looks sweet.

Last edited:
5 window!

Motor,
I had a '48 & '51 5-window & really regret sellin' the '51. It was a sweet machine & had a starter petal on the floor... loved it!!! That will make a great catch & then Check Bruce's build! Good luck!!!

BoB

I'm sure these guys will be able to tell you for sure:

http://www.stovebolt.com/

But it looks pretty similar to my '51 1 ton Chev., I paid $2000 and it runs but needs quite a bit of work.

Sean

Attachments

• P4130309.JPG
    P4130309.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 14
  • P4130308.JPG
    P4130308.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 11
It's a 1947 Second series through 1950...if memory serves me correctly. In 51 it was the same body style, but the doors had vent windows, and by 1953 they had push button door handles. There was a few differences from year to year....different 3100 emblems...different windlace....little things. Over all from 47 through 53 they are the same basic truck. 54 and 55 First series had the BIG bar grill, not the 5 or 6 bar style grill, and I think someone pointed out above...53 or there about, they went to a one piece curved windshield.

This is a 1948

48frt.jpg

48side.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

The guy supposedly has the title to the truck. It was his father's truck, he passed away and they can't fix it up. I'll call him again today and see if he could get a hold of the title and tell me what year it is.

I want to make a hood-less, fender-less, bed-less rat rod on my own frame. Is this truck worth chopping up, or should I look for something older?

Thanks again guys! :)

Last edited:
Definitely a '47-'50. Besides the only vehicles made in '45 were for government use, so if anybody tells you something is a '45 there should be some military history for that vehicle immediately following that statement. Anywho, those trucks are WAY too big to run fenderless IMO. If that is what you want and you can get a deal on this, then sell it off and find something earlier. Just my .02...

Has anyone seen one of these larger trucks without fenders ?
Pics would be good.

Maybe they need to be narrowed a little ? :confused:

From what I can tell there it's a 47 second series - 50. To narrow it down a bit if the fuel filler is in the passenger bed side it's a 47 or 48. If it happens to have a foot operated parking brake, it's a 48. If the hood ID badges are there they will say "Loadmaster". As far as I can remember, the 3800 (1-ton) was the only one with the long bed. If the VIN plate is still on the truck (drivers A post jam), you can decode the VIN using the site 24dodge listed.
Here's the link to the build Tripper mentioned:
http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247 .
That looks to be a fairly clean truck & for $800, I'd jump on it.

You have a really nice truck, Bruce!

I'm looking to build something more along these lines:
B_Gibbons-Rat-4_jpg.jpg

Like I said, I will be making my own 2x4 frame. I can probably pull off a clean chop, but narrowing and sectioning seem tough for me to do. I'm wondering if the cab is too big to achieve something like that.

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

You really can't build a truck like that from a 50s pickup. They are too round and puffy and just don't look right fenderless imo. Not that they aren't great old trucks, I have owned a few but if you are looking to buld that style of "truck" then about 38-39 is the newest cab that has the good proportions.
Of somewhat less questionable taste is the "roadster"

Attachments

• ford 57 hood 029.jpg
    ford 57 hood 029.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 14
Wow, that convertible truck is definately not my cup of tea. I'm sure a lot of work went into making it, though.

I've found a 34 Chevy Sedan with the possibility of getting a title. I'm going to check that out.

You have a really nice truck, Bruce!

I'm looking to build something more along these lines:
B_Gibbons-Rat-4_jpg.jpg

Like I said, I will be making my own 2x4 frame. I can probably pull off a clean chop, but narrowing and sectioning seem tough for me to do. I'm wondering if the cab is too big to achieve something like that.

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

Thanks for the complimnet on the truck. I like it & more importantly my wife likes it being, it's her's. As for a fenderless build check out tiny1's build here:
http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2172

This is alonfg the lines of what you are looking to do. tiny does some great work & this build is no exception.

Thanks for the complimnet on the truck. I like it & more importantly my wife likes it being, it's her's. As for a fenderless build check out tiny1's build here:
http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2172

This is alonfg the lines of what you are looking to do. tiny does some great work & this build is no exception.

Tiny's build is very nice. I wish my sheet metal fabrication abilities were beyond fixing rusty quarter panels. Haha!

As for the truck I initially posted, I spoke to the owner and he said he couldn't find the title. A series of events made me feel a little disappointed and disheartened in the truck. For now, I'm considering other vehicles.

I have found a 1934 Chevrolet 2dr. fairly close to me (65 miles away). I'm talking to the seller via email right now to make sure we're on the same page.

01021201040901160620080531cad14e8d30138115f800a730.jpg

01020101031001041020080531af4f35375059c9986b00fc21.jpg

I asked the seller to email me more pictures, but that'll all there is for now. What do you think? Anything in particular I should look for when buying these old Chevrolets?

Thanks a lot in advance!

If you do make your own frame, I'd recommend useing 2x4's made of ash. Be sure to glue AND screw them together.

Well, I am not allowed around power tools and sharp objects. I will just use some Elmer's glue and glue the pieces together and see how the frame holds up. Hahaha, thanks for the humor bud! :)
icon14.gif

Latest posts

Back