what year ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat truck 41

after what year in your HONEST opinion is not or does not belong on a rat rod site .......example do you consider a 90 neon in flat black paint a rat rod
like i said id like you to be honest my thoughts are anything after 60's doesnt make it in the catagory if you think so please enlighten me im open minded but it just doesnt fit in my opinion........sorry if offended anybody or you think im being shallow ....its just how it is for me

Boy, is this a loaded question. You have hot rods, muscle cars, leadsleds, lowriders, trucks and lets not forget imports, etc.....There's a catagory for each one. Some argue years, some argue styles, etc.....

The nice thing about this web-site is it's positive. We can appreciate all makes, models and style. The important thing is encouragement.

I think that "rat rod" is a frame of mind in style and taste. Above all, the car is drivable and safe. One of the "other" sites is now banning imports (isn't an Austin an import?) and the "other" will flame you if you mention "rats".

My opinion may vary from most on this and I suspect this post is stemming from the rather heated debates over at KB lately. I think this site handes the situation the best. Some of the people that post those types of cars would rather have something else but for what ever reasons can't have one. Some people just don't know any better, yet they are trying to learn and fit in. I don't have a real problem within reason with people posting O/T cars on occasion. I'd hate to see a guy get turned away who is trying to learn something.

My opinion may vary from most on this and I suspect this post is stemming from the rather heated debates over at KB lately. I think this site handes the situation the best. Some of the people that post those types of cars would rather have something else but for what ever reasons can't have one. Some people just don't know any better, yet they are trying to learn and fit in. I don't have a real problem within reason with people posting O/T cars on occasion. I'd hate to see a guy get turned away who is trying to learn something.

Well put, and your opinion may not vary from most. :cool:

When you start putting restrictions on rod creations you may be restricting creativity.

see this is my thing i own several cars and trucks .....i go with the theme of the site i wouldnt post pics of my 65 convet vette or my s10 on 58" tractor tire's and call it a rat or my 64 impala i have a big set of shinny 20 rims on thier and its lowered yet i dont consider it a rat or think anybody else would .i understand when someone wants to learn and your right they shouldnt be turned away.and i also think you have to work with what you have .......but c mon an import rat rod of the 90's or 80's:confused:

i do thank you guy's for your reply's but i still dont get it and probly never will

i think in my opinion the less plastic the better

last-call has a s-10 that has a old school look to it its a very nice truck
i think if its done right some newer cars and trucks can look really good
but actually being a old ride is more valueable to me

i have always had a new car (07 impala) cuz i drive so much during the week and it kills me that i cant put 1935 ford wire wheels on it and i have to go with a little bling just to fit the style and age of the car to me there is no way i can make that car look old school

most shows around here say pre 68 only 68 was when emissions started

I said it on KB and I will say it here,

We are all here for the love of a custom ride. If KB or RRR put a year cut off date on what to post and what not to, I would have been gone a long time ago. My 81 stepper isn't a ratrod, but I have the ability to give it a little "Rat Flavor".

It is all a state of mind, and all for the love of customs and performance...

My opinion may be a bit biased as i don't own anything pre-1960. However, would you think my 63 truck is too new? It looks the same as a 1960 chevy truck. I think the line blurs as to what a rat rod is somewhere in the 60's.

Last call's rod is a prime example of a what a rat rod is. But I don't have the time, money, or knowledge to build a rod from scratch at this point like that. He did do it low-buck i believe but i would still need the space and more tools (always need those :D). So for right now I putz around on my truck and learn as much as i can. I post what i do as much for the benefit of others as for myself. Maybe i can give someone else an idea or the info they needed to get something done.

I can also say that i'm guilty of posting non rat rod stuff up. I talk about the vette i just got and i ask questions about it. I would hate to not be able to ask about it here. Why? Because I have a great deal of respect for the knowledge on this board and I feel like i can trust the answers I get. I can't say that is always true on other boards, even corvette only forums. Would I start a build thread on it? That may be going a little far :D, as it is a rat rod forum. But i wouldn't want to knock the guy that does, i may garner some knowledge from him.

see this is my thing i own several cars and trucks .....i go with the theme of the site i wouldnt post pics of my 65 convet vette or my s10 on 58" tractor tire's and call it a rat or my 64 impala i have a big set of shinny 20 rims on thier and its lowered yet i dont consider it a rat or think anybody else would .i understand when someone wants to learn and your right they shouldnt be turned away.and i also think you have to work with what you have .......but c mon an import rat rod of the 90's or 80's:confused:

i do thank you guy's for your reply's but i still dont get it and probly never will
Hey, I wanna see pics of your other rides....:D I just like anything on wheels

thanks for those that replied to the post ....i see thier are people that will not touch this subject it has been viewed 44 times and thiers like 7 replies .....ID LIKE TO HEAR FROM EVERYONE.....i know you have an opinion that agrees or disagrees with mine

the truth is I like anything with an engine and wheels , it just so happens that this site covers the type of wheels and tires I like best , I like "rat rods" if you want to call them that , to me it means a car you can drive everyday and not cry when you scratch your 10k paint job , and not have to polish every single part on the car .......and 1924 is the cut off year for all hot rods and rat rods :D:D:D

I like all kinds of cars. I would love to build a chopped 5 window but the prices i have seen on rough bodies alone is getting crazy. I know my volksrod doesnt really fit in here but I built it complety from a junk body heading to the shredder to driving(new brake system,new tires,ect.) for $1500.00 with a stock engine,not counting the stroker engine in it now. I can hop in it and drive it anywhere and still run mid 9s(1/8)low 15s(1/4). I can have as much fun in it as some one with a $40.000.00 rod. I am helping my dad build his 35 Ford truck he has had 43 years.
Tim

I'll have the answer in just a second!!!

I think I can settle this rather quickly... I'll just look it up on Wikipedia!!! ; - >

And while I'm @ it... I'll look up the cut off date for a Hot Rod!!! ; - >

BoB

P.S.: By the way... all cars/trucks/bikes are allowed on this site!!! And Timbo... that definitely includes VDubbs!!!

Last edited:
Ok, I haven't posted in a while (I will work on improving my participation skills)

I don't get to park in front of the computer much but when I do I stop here first because this site is geared toward the style of vehicle I like best. Rat rod, hot rod, call them what you want I like them 'cause they are HOMEBUILT. You don't have to build everything by yourself but do what you can and get help when you need help . Another reason I like it here is because of the willingness of everyone here to help out when asked regardless of what car style of year.

To answer the question of what year. Why put a limit on creativity? We are all here because we like messin with, customizing, building, and doing whatever it takes to make our vehicles our own style. I think the older rides are easier to get the look we enjoy here while the newer rides take more work and imagination to pull off the same attitude.

Woops! Just noticed the time. gotta go get the kids so I'm done rambling for now.

Latest posts

Back