What's fair?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

that_guy_lalo

I'm new to this so administration move if this isn't the right place to post.

I'm looking to get into building my own ratrod I've seen a couple older model Tudors to buy but the price in between then is unbalanced. What's a fair price to pay for a frame and cab or just the cab? Money isn't really an issue I just don't want to be "robbed" by paying too much. Thanks in advance.

bag

it's like a bag of groceries, depends on what's in it.

l bought a new chassis for the 3Oish rat. cost a little more than what l was thinking about spending but in the long term it saved time and money as l got the total complete one with every thing but a motor/trans/driveshaft.

the 48 dodge truck we sub-framed it with a camaro stub and it cost a about a grand.

l suggest find a hardship sale, death/divorce or just lost interest, these are cheaper to acquire. AND don't feel guilty for doing this, they are offering it and nothing you did caused the people to sell it.

BE POLITE----make a reasonable counter offer but don't insult them like gas monkey idiot does.

also weigh the cost of what you want in a rod, straight axle or IFS, leaf or 4-link etc

Later:cool:

Last edited:
Yep what skull said ,,, and its going to depend on where your at ... Find out what the junk price is for a truck and you know its worth that anyway.. here the junk cars were hitting $350 -$400 last summer .. so that puts a nice 40s -50s cab and frame up to at least that if the person dont want it in his field .. I give $400 for a 49 ford cab and a botched up frame and engine ,,, which what you dont use , you can scrap or re-sell so that will help on cost of the truck. Just my 2 cents ..

Depends on what state your in - Montana is gonna have far better stuff for a lot cheaper than you'll find in Florida. Around Iowa a solid 30/31 Tudor shell can bring $1000-$1500. A rotted out one $400-$500.

Oh, and Welcome to RRR!

Buy the best thing you can afford. It will be cheaper in the long run and you'll be a lot less likely to lose interest or become overwhelmed. If you look around you can find one of those projects someone else did a bunch of work on and lost interest. I'd venture to guess maybe one out of 10 p"projects" that get started on ever get finished..

Unless you're good at body work and like doing it, buy something that doesn't need much or any.
It's basically the same money either way, just a lot less work evolved getting to the end result.

Buy the best thing you can afford...

I agree with this statement, I would have been done a long time ago had I started with a more sound purchase...

The one benefit with buying a disaster (if you don't give up) ...is it forces you to learn more and fab more than you would have otherwise...

Thanks yall. The prices I'm seeing around here in south Texas are no where near the 350 mark. I'm seeing 800 to 1000 for just the cab. Or seeing the frame and cab for upwards of 3000.

I think there is a little confusion. You said "Tudor" which is a ford 2door sedan. Yankee Transplant is talking about 40's and 50's truck cabs. I'd guess in some parts of Texas, you could just about find a running 40's-50's truck for $1000.

Hey , sorry if I got y'all confused .. But I kinda meant to see what the price of junk was in your area, then go from there .. if its nice more money if its ruff lean toward junk price ..

Latest posts

Back