What's in your attic?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewski

Some time back I ran a wanted ad for a 10" American 200S wheel. I ran the ad with a picture of the wheel I was looking for. I got a lot of responses, but the one that paid off was from a guy that had bought a new set of those wheels for his "new" 1971 Camaro Z28. The story as told was that he ran the 10" wheels on the rear of the car for around 500 miles and took them off and stored them in his mothers attic. He had forgotten about them until he saw my ad many years(30+) later. When I went to pick them up, he apologizes for not getting the old tires dismounted. The tires, Mickey Thompson Holley 50 Profiles, still have as new tread and surprisingly don't show age cracking in the sidewalls. I'm sure they are not safe to run but they do look good considering where they've been. Haven't seen a set of those tires in a loooooong time.

After spending some time with a pressure washer, I gave one of the wheels a good sanding with some 1000 grit paper and hit it with a buffer. I think they're gonna look great when I get them competely cleaned up.

Buildphotos014-1.jpg

Buildphotos012.jpg

Buildphotos017.jpg

Buildphotos019.jpg

Check your attic. Have you stashed anything 30 or 40 years ago that you forgot about?

Drewsk

Those are the same tires I run on mine. You can get them from summit racing.
Tim

Attachments

• DSCN2226.jpg
    DSCN2226.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 24
Oh, geez......

Thanks for ruining a good day! About ten years ago, I was living in another state, and had been in the British bike restoral, repair etc business. Had bought an 8 X 12 truck bed full of new and used partsany years before.

Many years later, I got tired of it, and decided to sell what was left of the pile. Guy drove from Western Louisiana to Utah and bought them all off of E-Bay.

Just remembered I have some fenders, oil tanks and gas tanks in the attic of the garage!:confused:

Well, sold the house and moved, and they are still there! (I guess):mad:

Not that I can complain, after years of using off that pile of parts, I sold the remnants for $25 less than I paid to begin with. Only good investment I ever made! These pictures are some of the parts from the ad, I forgot the attic!

Attachments

• family pictures 572.jpg
    family pictures 572.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 26
  • family pictures 582.jpg
    family pictures 582.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 31
cool story drewski![cl:cool:

'bout the only stuff i have in the attic is cobwebs!!:D

in the attic at dad & moms place i think i still have a few toys stored (if they haven't melted:eek:)

Don't think I've ever left anything in an attic, but I inherited a bunch of stuff in the house I bought. Dwellmeter, assorted Stewart Warner guages, freon leak detector, hvlp gun, paint pin-striping kit and a Cat D8 seat (the D8 that it goes on is in the backyard).

The coolest things though was a set of "Motor" automotive books from 1953-1969 and one from 1942. Also a stack of '50s "Motor" magazines, "Motor Trend" and one old "Rod and Custom" rag. Also in the stack were various sales pamphlets from the '30's, '40's, and '50's.

Latest posts

Back