Whats the most annoying?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

I'm getting into a routine of sorts.... For the past few days (not exaggerating) I have had several comments on my F100 and it's progress. But is seeming to be every time that something is said, it is always followed by "so, what color you painting it?" or "so, you're restoring it, huh". NO!!!!! It is what it is! The rust is staying and the paint isn't going to change! "Oh! Well, I like your wide whites!" The truck stood out enough for them to say it was nice but once they found out that its pretty much done for, then they change their mind and comment about the tires. And more times than not.... it's usually older men that remember "real" hot rods. You would think that they would respect the old garage look with using what you had to get by and make what you could that made you happy. It seem that most everyone thinks you have to have a Riddler car in order to have a hot rod!

I just hope that in my older age that I'm not so close minded when it comes to someones sweat and blood. Just my two cents.... I'll get of the pot now.

...just remember that THIS generation, for the most part, thinks a "hotrod" is a subcompact with a bumblebee muffler, a wing and nitrous:rolleyes:

but i understand what your saying.....in my dad's hotroddin days, the truck that i'm now buildin would have been called a "cut-down" in our part of the world...the "hotrods" in the real world then were alot like hot/rat rods today, you built it w/what you had or could make...

...just remember that THIS generation, for the most part, thinks a "hotrod" is a subcompact with a bumblebee muffler, a wing and nitrous:rolleyes:

but i understand what your saying.....in my dad's hotroddin days, the truck that i'm now buildin would have been called a "cut-down" in our part of the world...the "hotrods" in the real world then were alot like hot/rat rods today, you built it w/what you had or could make...

Well said preacher. That is why I do not understand the negative way many rodders look at rats. They are more traditional than most "traditional" rods.

I have figured out, it is not what it is called, it is how cool is it. Not just to everybody else, but to you, the builder/driver.

Don't worry about what the people looking at is say. For the last 4 years I have had people tell me how cool my truck will be when it is finished. I just tell them I can hardly wait.

Im from this generation and i agree with all of you, every one wants the shine and looks of a professional paint job and a muffler but they cant respect the actual meaning of the word hod rod. its a shame its happening, but a few of us are still sticking strong lol. my first was a 68 mustang and it was all kinds of messed up, i didnt care, i just focused on the drive train, not to mention you can get in alot more races when your fender bold is loose or missing and it clacks against the fender apron lol. im building a t bucket and its never getting a slick paint job, takes away from the craftmonship some what if you ask me, not to mention i like the look of a rat rod better then a 5 clear coated custom paint job that anyone or anything can come by or against and scratch it, not to mention thoughs little old ladies and men out there that cant see to drive.... thats my general out look on it anyways.

it's usually older men that remember "real" hot rods. You would think that they would respect the old garage look with using what you had to get by and make what you could that made you happy. It seem that most everyone thinks you have to have a Riddler car in order to have a hot rod!

Dude... they are not hot rodders... they're *critics* & their opinion means nothing! They're actually just tryin' to get u're goat... don't let them spoil u're good time!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Dude... they are not hot rodders... they're *critics* & their opinion means nothing! They're actually just tryin' to get u're goat... don't let them spoil u're good time!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Yeah those guys don't actually BUILD anything. They are just writing a bunch of checks and having someone else build thier cars.

Hell I can write a check just like anyone else, how hard is that??? (It would bounce, but you get my point :D)

I love when I hear guys saying that "yeah I'm building a so and so".
"Oh really, where is it? "
"Its over at so and so customs"
"Oh you mean Johnny over there is building it for you"

Hahaha. Check-writer!!

wouldn't you know.... I was running home today and came to the intersection where the firemen were set up taking donations for Jerry's Kids .... great deal so I reach into my pocket and grab a $5 and stop. He comes to me and had to speak a little louder to be heard over my exhaust and said "man! this sure will be nice when you get it done!" my reply, "oh yeah? thanks man, I appreciate that"... and as I revved it to pull away I yelled over my exhaust "IT IS DONE!", as I laid a little rubber. looked in my mirror as he is grinning from ear to ear.

MAN, THAT FELT GREAT!!!!

Its not just the checkbook rodders that get ******.

I know guys that have spent thousands of hours and made significant financial sacrifices over a long period of time, to build really nice cars. These cars really deserve to be appreciated for they are....works of art. But at a show, that don't get the attention that my truck does.

And when somebody spends 30 minutes checking out the way I built mine....they really get ******.

The shame of it is that those guys who do invest time, and end up with a really cool car don't realize the fun they are missing. Lets see, three years of building or 3 years of driving.
I really like their cars too, and appreciate the labor.

The shame of it is that those guys who do invest time, and end up with a really cool car don't realize the fun they are missing. Lets see, three years of building or 3 years of driving.
I really like their cars too, and appreciate the labor.

Would you believe I spent 3 years building my truck?

Hey Cabby....65 yr old hot rodder here. My F100 is faded with some rusted thru spots, dropped straight axle, tall shifter with 6" dia. skull knob. Lunatti, Thrush ( gave the Flowmasters away!).....A HOT ROD!!! I'm in a street rod club with 60 old guys. Maybe 3 or 4 get it. But they grew up...I ain't yet. But, ya know, everywhere I go on the streets ( drive it every day) I get smiles and thumbs up. My buddy at R.A.W. Rods who I bought it from had buffed it in a few places. Like I said before, I took a Scotchbrite and Ajax to it. Like the other guys said, build it for youself and look at the naysayers with pity (they are grownups).............no fun!

The waxers and check writers are easy to work and fun to mess with, what gets me are the little old ladies that think you are trying to build a $40,000 streetrod and missed the mark :)..

Ya can't do anything about them--they are trying to be nice. "you ought to take it to a show, they have a BEGINNER class"--- "keep trying-practise makes perfect".

If ya get smart with them--you're the bad guy..

Explain to them you've been building cars for 45 years and this the culmination of all you've learned and what you believe in, and they look at you like your mom and daddy were cousins, and you're that poor retarded guy that played the banjo in Deliverence.:D:D

I can't beat em so I just join em. Nod my head alot, drool a little --ask em if they got any cookies :)..

(sometimes they do)

PA41

As it goes with cars,trucks and motorcycles, to have some guy tell you that your doing it all wrong, when they are the one that brought it to you to do the modification or repair.

I had a guy that wanted a 6' stretch in the down tubes on his H.D. [ I've been building bikes for many a year ] When I asked him what rake he wanted, he told me that just by adding 6" to the tubes wouldn't change a thing. I tried to explain it to him and even drew pictures - He insisted that I was wrong - I told him to take it else where.

I dont really think its annoying, some people just dont know what a rat rod is. Where i live there are only about 4 of us in a 50mile radius. Last summer there was only 2 on the road.

Everytime i take mine to a cruise in i hear:
"Thats gonna look great when its finished" (seems to be the most popular)
"Lots of potential"
"boy, you sure do have alot of work ahead of you"

Thing is though, when i pull into a crowded cruise-in parking lot i always have people follow me to where i park. I cant even get out of the truck before people are hovering around it. Thats what urks the billet boys off to no end. They have all that money into their rides and people will walk right past them to see my rust.

This one time i went to the local friday night show held by the local car club. You know the scene, same cars week after week, same people.... Anyway, a few of the muscle car guys have taken a shine to my truck. I was off in the distance watching them as they grabbed one of the street rodders and took him over to it, and i could hear the muscle car guy saying "isnt this thing beautiful!"..."This guy has so much work in this" Then i saw the expression on the street rodders face...PRICELESS:)

I like the so called yuppies that pay me to do the work, but I also enjoy what i do and not many see why I do ( even my own wife:confused:). I just tell them it'll never be done!!

You probably should learn to live with it, and to tolerate old people because you will be one someday.
I don't know about much before the 60s but I don't remember any rusty shop trucks with wide whites. One old guy did have a 46 Ford that was painted with some kind of silver barn roof paint and he also had painted on whitewalls.
When people ask what color I will be painting my red primered rpu I usually just say I haven't decided yet. Or if they are another rodder I tell them the truth, I plan to paint it John Deere Blitz black. I do find the general population around here still think hotrods are the crayola easter egg colored overdone billet cars.
Even my own family will tell me about some real neat old car and it will be some fuscia 48 Chevy 4 door with rectangular headlights. takes all kinds.
My response to "when will it be done"? "No hotrod is ever done"

Last edited:
I haven't even started on mine yet and the first thing out of the guys mouth when I was looking at it was "What color you gonna paint it?"

I think some people get it and some don't. I don't think I actually get it...I'm just having some fun

Well some people just can't wrap their minds around any thing but what they see on TV Like Barett Jackson ect....:eek: They think that all cars are souposed to look like them. "thats a real car":mad: Now the hell with what they say. I call my car a Rat Rod but some call it tradional it is what it is. It's mine and I don't give a Rats ass what anyone else has to say:cool: But thats just my.02

Latest posts

Back