when did term "rat rod'' first appear

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trailer Queen...Person with toooo much money invested in his/her vehicle "ART" ROD. Can't drive it due to the possibility of dust getting on it. High percentage of these cars were NOT built by the owner. Older, Balding, middle aged, overweight male who doesn't want the TYPICAL Corvette that many others of his genre drive. Many of these owners have a very high opinion of themself and put down all other cars claiming he has the best. Nothing more than a "CHECKBOOK" compition.

I have to admit I'm guilty of reverse discrimination!

When I start talking to guys about their ride and find out they didn't build it I call them out........... "So you didn't build it?" " well ............ No, but I helped" :rolleyes::rolleyes: I usually get this completely uninterested look on my face and normally just walk away in the middle of their story...........

I know rude but anyone can "buy" a rod, I have respect for a fellow man that can build his ride

Last edited:
This cracks me up

A 3 year old thread and there still is no good answer. dmw hit the nail on the head 3 years ago, and is my understanding of where the term was coined. But what makes a RR who can say.

When I start talking to guys about their ride and find out they didn't build it I call them out........... "So you didn't build it?" " well ............ No, but I helped" :rolleyes::rolleyes: I usually get this completely uninterested look on my face and normally just walk away in the middle of their story...........

I know rude but anyone can "buy" a rod, I have respect for a fellow man that can build his ride

I respect the people who build their own more too but does that mean you can't have a hotrod just because you don't have the time/talent/facilities to build your own? Darn near every car in every major magazine was built by professionals for someone who could afford to pay them to do it.

I probably already said this, three years ago, but we were building rat bikes decades before the term rat rods popped up. Early 80s, every once in a while one would even pop up in easy riders. Somewhere I have a couple shots of one I built in 1980. It was a 34 VLD with a knuckle head reverse tranny, chopped and raked VL frame with an RL front fork extended with Ford wishbones. Sportster back wheel, all just crap I dug out of my parts stash.

I respect the people who build their own more too but does that mean you can't have a hotrod just because you don't have the time/talent/facilities to build your own? Darn near every car in every major magazine was built by professionals for someone who could afford to pay them to do it.h.

Guess I should clarify, when I'm talking to guys about their rides and they try to come off as though THEY built it, eventually through conversation it emerges that they didn't really, I have gotten the "well I helped the guy that built it " more then once or twice, that's just irritating, sorry.

On a different note I had a great discussion with a guy at the Texas motor speed way good guys

He had a 29 Tudor but his data tag said 1923..... Errr huh ?? [S
It was clearly a 29 I looked at the guy and said "that's not a 23" he looked and me and put his finger to his lips and said "SHEEEESHHH" I said you had a title for a 23 didn't you ? He just smiled and said yep!!

We talked for about an hour

Another pointless topic

When does a project become a build? I know most of us can claim we "built" our rods but in conversations I see the word "build" used to refer to what I would call a project. Example, a 70 Chevelle you put a crate engine in, tires/wheels and a paint job really isn't a build, Chevy already built the car, you just modified/personalized it. But I don't think you have to melt iron and cast your own block to say you built the car either. I'm sure there is no clear place to draw a line technically, just wondering what others think.

It's a good thing other professions don't take this attitude hehe heh... Like doctors, dentists, etc... What do you mean you didn't pull your own tooth? What do you mean you didn't do your own appendectomy? :D:D:D:D[cl[cl[cl

I look at it this way, everyone is talented and many have appreciation for rods, but not everyone has the skill set to build them, so I guess I give those people a break, but yes it would bother me slightly if they tried to come across like they built it when they did not, but that applies to more than just rat rods and hot rods...:cool:

Latest posts

Back