Where are gas prices going again ?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I know, Bob, I use only about a gallon or so a day, but at the prices of Premium I would love to get more milage. My last car was a Honda Accord, and that one sipped fuel.

Don

propaganda controlled c-o-n--spiracy...Im so ready for a 3cyl Geo & motorcycle

Man the last time I ever heard any more propaganda from a government they were speaking german and kids had red armbands.

They raise it cause people only wine and cry but dont do anything about it. You know, for SUPER gas mileage you dump 30-40 grand on some hybrid that is so many computers you cant change the oil and a hungry asian kid is greatful for the work. 30-40 GRAND! - In 1960 Ford Falcons with the 144 I-6 got up to 30mpg highway, and my old way back when '82VW diesel=50+... and everyone now is extatic if theyre hitting 20. What's up with THAT?!! I altered my '99 4dr Explorer and on the highway Im between 28-32mpg and around town between high teens to mid/low twenties. THAT'S sticking it to the man!!!

I will never get rid of my little Jetta TDI. I love that car 50MPG all day long!! Sure she is getting older, has some high miles, but runs great!!!

I have been toying with the idea for a long time to build an electric bicycle to get back and forth to work. Thinking I might actually end up doing that. That is the majority of where I buy gas, because of my old truck.... I am just so sick of gas prices!!! I wish they would go back down to around $2 a gallon, then I would be happy.

Same old same old! Big oil has a strangle hold on the whole economy & will wring out everything they can because the government has always let them get away with murder. Nothing changes!

Beercan

In 1960 Ford Falcons with the 144 I-6 got up to 30mpg highway, and my old way back when '82VW diesel=50+... and everyone now is extatic if theyre hitting 20. What's up with THAT?!!

Two words: crash ratings. 82 rabbits and Civic CRX HFs got 45+ MPG b.c they were light as a feather AND had like 50hp.

No one would buy a car with a 1-star crash rating and a 0-60 time of 15 seconds today.

Either way, we end up having one new car, I drive quite a bit, my '07 altima has 123K on it already...
So, believe me as much as i would like to NOT have a new car, its pretty much a given that with the miles I drive, I need something that gets much better mileage, and something I don't have to worry about breaking down when I'm driving distance...

We will likely keep the altima as it has been a great car, no major issues, but this coming fall the plan is to have something new in the stable for my commute, and the long drives to pickup my daughter.

The mazda dealer told me today that the diesels will either be in the May build, or the August build, and they will call me when they come in for test drive. Only the Mazda 6 is confirmed for the diesel, but I hope they also expand that to the CX-5 which is also on my list of cars to drive.....

I have serious interest in the BRZ from Subaru, but I think my practical side will push me toward something like the Mazda diesel.... especially if the mileage is upwards of 50mpg... The VWs have some great history with their diesel, but lately they have crap quality, and their styling except for the CC is terribly bland...

Yeah.....waste of time trying to figure it out....

Same old same old! Big oil has a strangle hold on the whole economy & will wring out everything they can because the government has always let them get away with murder. Nothing changes!

Beercan

between big oil and the government, us little guys don't stand a chance....always an excuse.....shortage of oil.....cost per barrel....plants down....hi tide......low tide....oil spill.....boat leaking.....somebody stop me.... :eek:

between big oil and the government, us little guys don't stand a chance....always an excuse.....shortage of oil.....cost per barrel....plants down....hi tide......low tide....oil spill.....boat leaking.....somebody stop me.... :eek:

What he said X2!!! There's no earthly reason gas prices went up 40 cents in 2 - 3 weeks! :eek:

BoB

So, how hard or expensive is it to change rearend diff gear?

So, how hard is it to change the rearend differential gear?
Would you guys just stick with crapola gas mileage or change that 4barrel to a two? Or maybe it's the 2bbl to a single, would you run it lean? Run max air pressure in the tires for less rolling resistance and the better gas mileage? Change to a K&N air filter? Without buying a new ride, what would you guys do for better gas mileage - - AND/OR what have you done for better mpg in the ride???

The amount of fuel you'd save vs. the money / time

on a ride you don't drive every day.....would it be worth doing it?? That is the real question....
If you spend 40cents a gallon more.....how much would you have to save to make it worthwhile doing mods to enhance fuel mileage...
Carb? 150 bucks used .....350-400 new..
Rear gears....used diff..200.....new R&P 250 + seals fluids bearings and such...
Fuel Injections....fab something off an old FI engine...200 bucks + all the aggrevation....
New FI system....2500 to 3000
Where do you stop????
Buy a new vehicle that gets 50mpg.....35,000 / 40,000

Lets see...40 cents a gallon more x 20 gallons =8 bucks
8 bucks x 52 weeks = 416 dollars x 5 years = 2,080 dollars.....
Think I'll just stick with what I'm running.....

Wasn't trying to be a jerk about it....

Just sometimes it simply comes down to basic math.....it's like owning a prius....what do they cost verses how much you save on fuel...figure out how long it takes to recoup the cost verses your old vehicle and the fuel it used at todays cost...takes a ton of time to recoup the costs is ever....
Maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way.....[S and don't all you prius owners get upset with me....simply an example...lol

I guess it depends on fuel costs really...
Right now gas is 3.79ish a gallon here, and I can still get diesel for $3.89 at some stations.
If that trend continues, I'll be driving a diesel next most likely...

Still have trouble NOT buying a sporty car with some hp.... ugh...

Just sometimes it simply comes down to basic math.....it's like owning a prius....what do they cost verses how much you save on fuel...

Very true. Prius makes no mathematical sense, period. People drive them to make a statement, which is fine with me.

If people were really looking to save money on transporation, they'd be much, much better off buying a used Corolla/Civic/Focus and paying slightly more for gas.

I always crack up when I see a Smart car careening down the highway at 70mph. Those stupid things only get 36mpg on the hwy because they are so un-aerodymanic! I'm crusing along getting 30mpg in my comfy V-6 just shaking my head.

Well the feds just fined the oil company with burning

ocean oil platform 400million dollars....guess we'll be paying for that one....[S

I always crack up when I see a Smart car careening down the highway at 70mph. Those stupid things only get 36mpg on the hwy because they are so un-aerodymanic! I'm crusing along getting 30mpg in my comfy V-6 just shaking my head.

[cl[cl[cl

Story time...

I'm cruising home from the lake in my white elephant. (1 ton crew cab diesel) There's a strong headwind and I have to press it a little to maintain 70 but no big deal. I see a Smart car ahead... darting all over the road. I get by him and laugh.

A few more miles and I'm feeling some added resistance. Hmmm... wind picking up? Nope... Smart car hanging on my bumper... he's slipstreaming me! I gave the elephant a couple left-rights and watched him fight for control. This is fun. I added a few MPH... still there... a few more MPH and I cut him loose with a couple more sharp whips. Make me pull your jellybean around? I don't think so.

Not so many years ago, diesel was much, much cheaper than gasoline. This is the very definition of "price gouging" in my opinion.

Now that's funny......drafting with a smart car......wow....

And yes, they find any excuse (whether real or unreal) to raise the prices.....if some shiek in the middle east gets a cold....raise the price of oil....if you have to add a length of pipe to dig a bit deeper ....raise the prices....if you need to clean the toilets at the plant, raise the prices.....I wish there was a really good way to actually hurt these guys.....to let them know that we are out here...and that WERE MAD AS HE!! AND WE AREN'T GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!!...... IT'S MY MONEY AND I WANT IT NOW!!
:D

Here ya go Sarge...

horse-drawn-car-circa-wwii1.jpg

Of course, the oil barons will quickly monopolize the hay market. On the plus side, Mr Ed will be back on TV doing Shell commercials.

Latest posts

Back