Where can I get BIG finned valve covers for 460 ford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onebadolds

Banned
Ok, dont kill me about the ford thing. I happen to like BB fords. I'm going to use one in the 26 roadster. BUT .. here is my problem. [S I want to get a set of big finned valve covers, kinda like the old school looking ones. Not the cobra one's, I know about them.. Does anyone make sets or can make sets? HELP... thats the only thing I dont like about bb ford. I almost cut the set of OLDS covers I had and welded them to the 460 bottoms and smoothed it out. But I dont want to be known as the guy that has a 460 with Olds valve covers.... faker...[cl

Yea, Ive seen those. I just HATE the shoulder type VC's that make the 460 look flat accross the top. I have a set of Ford Motorsports That are the square type and make it look like a normal engine. But everyone make those crappy looking flat topped VC's. I want them to look like the old nailheads larg finned VC's Almost want someone to say WHAT the heck is that? I may just have to fab some up. I wish someone could make me a set.

Yea, Ive seen those. I just HATE the shoulder type VC's that make the 460 look flat accross the top. I have a set of Ford Motorsports That are the square type and make it look like a normal engine. But everyone make those crappy looking flat topped VC's. I want them to look like the old nailheads larg finned VC's Almost want someone to say WHAT the heck is that? I may just have to fab some up. I wish someone could make me a set.

sounds like your best bet --

Yep, sounds like your looking at one-offs. ....and why would we have a problem with Fords?! Big Block anything is good!

I'm reluctant to say it but....... you could use bbChev covers with an adapter plate. :eek::(

Or.... take a course in metal casting and start selling them !! :cool::rolleyes:

I made my own covers for a Cadillac 472 since I didn't like what was out there, used 1/4 plate for the flange, 1/8 plate for the sides and 3/8 plate for the top, cut the grooves on my table saw. They look kinda billet-like but you could cut wider fins. The best thing about them was that few people knew what engine it was [S by the covers - sorta what you're looking for .

Attachments

• mar 09 05 019 ab.jpg
    mar 09 05 019 ab.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 38
I know this is an older thread but, 428 and 460 are totally different animals. The 352,390,406,427,428 are the same. The 429-460 are the same. Just different crank and pistons.. Absolutely nothing will interchange between the 428 and 460. (except the oil filter)lol. Thanks.

Mickey Thompson, and the guy that used to make the finned covers for the flatheads used to have these back in the 70's.....you could probably find them at swap meets, used speed equip. places and the like......

I know this is an older thread but, 428 and 460 are totally different animals. The 352,390,406,427,428 are the same. The 429-460 are the same. Just different crank and pistons.. Absolutely nothing will interchange between the 428 and 460. (except the oil filter)lol. Thanks.

Thanks for the correction. My bad. I am not up on Ford as to what will interchange.

i've seen the valve covers that you are looking for before, someone in the ntba has a set on their t, i will try to see who it is. i won't give you no crap about the ford, because the 370, 429, and 460's really are not fords, they are lima truck motors.

There are the factory cj/scj finned covers... but they demand a pretty penny, and you said you weren't really looking for them. I vaguely recall some Cal Custom ones, but they are likely rare and very pricy. There are the vintage M/T and Holley finned covers, both in aluminum, some were black wrinkle finish. There are repops of both to my knowledge, and they still draw a good deal of cash. I would recommend checking ebay for damaged singles to come up with a pair. You could probably get some with minor damage cheap, and repair them, since you were willing to custom fab a set. If you were planning on using roller rockers, they may not clear, as they were all short covers. There are spacers available from a couple sources, if you need taller versions.

LRR

Also check out some of the old Cobra sites....I've seen some for sale on these....but its been a while back. They deal with the BBF's.....we've stuck a Alum. 547 Ford in a Cobra last year....it was unreal. It had the finned covers. Essentially it was a poked and stroked 460.[P[;):rolleyes:

I happened across a set today that have the "Edelbrock" script on them. They looked very similar to my MT/Holley repops that I have, so I compared them to each other. These have the same "FORD 429-460" casting, and a p/n of "103R-53B" below that. My MT set has a p/n of "103R-52BX". If I had to guess, they were made by the same company, although there is no proof of this other than a very similar p/n.

Hopefully, this will help you locate a set.
LRR

Latest posts

Back