Where do I get started?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onetondodge

Alright guys,

I know almost nothing about body work, But I am trying my hand at it. I have this dent in my truck and have tried what I thought would work to remove it. I bought a dent removale kit from the local automotive store, the kind that glues onto the dent and then you pull it out. I believe it is too small(skinny) to pull out with a traditional suction cup. I tried pushing it out from the back side of the dent with no luck. I also banged on it with a body hammer.

I am at a cross of feeling like I am doing more damage than good and fixing it. My goal is to get it to a point where I can live with it, or at least save some money when I bring it to a body guy.

The good news is: I fixed the scratches in my tail light, some 800 grit, 1000 grit sand paper and some rubbing compound took out the scratches in my tail light. But I am lost at poping out that dent in the quarter panel.

DSCN1682-1.jpg

Your help is much appreciated

if i was working on that, (i have popped & painted a few dings in my life) i would get me a few long pry-bars and try to work it out from the back side.....
also almost every dent has a "crown" or a high pressure point that will need to go in or "down" as the dent comes out or "up" (in your pic it would be at the top of the ding near that body line&at the bottom of the ding, you can almost see the high in the pic) if you can get an extra set of hands it might help to have one person operate the pry-bars while the other taps lightly from the outside.....that will help put the metal back in its location better.....remember that the pry-bars can "gouge" if you use too much pressure, or pressure in the wrong place and it works better to do a little here-a little there ...gently working it out

may not be everybody's approach, but that's my 2 cents any other advice out there?

I would try a big rubber mallet and hold a longer block of wood across the outside of the dent to keep the metal from bouncing,you can wrap it with a rag if you dont want to scratch the paint any further.After the big main dent is popped back out you can fine tune it with a bodyhammer and dolly.The prybars would work but I think you would still have to have some support on the outside to keep the box side from getting pushed out to much.

If bringing it to a body shop is part of your plan ,I would say don't touch it , your messing with it will probably make him have to charge you more , not less .

Latest posts

Back