Where have all the men gone?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidhud29

Once upon a time..... A man was a man and a woman was a woman.
Men drank beer. They worked on there cars. They worked on there houses. They got dirty.
Now they pay someone else to change there oil. They can't even change a tire.
Of course this doesn't apply to RRR people.
Most of my friends have no interest in cars. A car show might be up there ally, like a Good Guys show. Not a rat show. In doors with ropes, mirrors and white gloves kinda show. Hey I like those shows too, I'm not prejudice, a good lookin car is a good lookin car. But when I bought the 50 Ford (shoebox) I brought home. My friends just didn't get it at all. I mean the seats were all tore up, it didn't run, etc.
To me it just seems like a natural thing to want to go out to the garage with a 12 pack of Pabst and work on an old hot rod or kustom with your friends. That's what being a man is all about. Sharing stories, working together, getting your hands dirty, creating something kool.

I don't understand men who do not want to get thier hands dirty. I like that I can fix almost anything, it gives me pride in myself. I also work with my hands for a living and those people look down on guys that work with thier hands. ( I am a copier/printer repairman) I don't like sports at all, old cars and fishing are what gets my blood pumping. I cannot imagine not being able to fix a car, I love the challenge and have taught myself the things that used to scare me. Like wiring and welding, if you take your time and read a little I usually can figure it out. Non car guys just do not get it.

My brother in law is a computer tech. Nothing wrong with that. But he follows foot ball like crazy. Plays fantasy football. He will be watching the game on tv, with his laptop on watching other players to see what his fantasy team is doing. I asked him a few weeks ago if he wanted to get a football game together he said "Isn't it kinda cold?" COME ON! Yea it's cold, and I know I'm not as young as I used to be, and neither is he, but be a man, dang it.

I agree with what your talking about I don't drink but I like working on old cars been doing it a long long time I like them from about 72 back the older the better ,my 2cents

I don't drink either but I also agree , I NEED to build stuff, otherwise I feel like I am wasting precious time. I build custom furniture and cabinets and other wood related stuff for a living, the rest of the time when i am not doing stuff with the family I work on cars or trucks. I also take pride in knowing how to do stuff myself,I do everything on my house from wiring ,plumbing,tilework to siding windows whatever. My wife tells me how a lot of her coworkers husbands cant even install a new light fixture or do anything themself on their house or car.

I saw this the other day and thought this may go along with this discussion

k997c4.jpg

thanx...Ded N. Buried

Good one D&B

I'm watching to see where this thread goes but i'm not optomistic.
Like the fact we have seen the last of the farmboy presidents. Men who were rooted in the real world. Our lastest presidents grew up in front of the TV watching Saturday morning cartoons. Quoting a goofy country singer "Ever'thang chayngezz".

My wife tells me how a lot of her coworkers husbands cant even install a new light fixture or do anything themself on their house or car.

I have done work for several of my wifes co workers. And they are married to "men". Work like, changing light bulbs, hanging a mirror, changing out a few fans, installing surge protector power strips, caulking the kitchen sink, changing door knobs, installing chain latches by the doors, etc.
Hey if they want to pay me $30 an hour to do mindless stuff because they are simply to lazy, then whatever. Personally, I would be ashamed to pay someone to do these things at my house.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered by a woman being able to do "traditional man things" just when a man can't. So my alpha-male comments are not sexist. Just a futile attempt to bring some masculinity back into the world.

But more to the subject ya'll were on. One slogan my step-dad always drove into my head and I will always live by. "Do something... even if you do it wrong."

thanx...Ded N. Buried

Latest posts

Back