Where to start first??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ren92

Ok I really want to go ahead and start working on the car but kinda lost on where to start.I know the direction I want to go on it. I think I should remove the body and start boxing in the frame and get the Suspension done.Then worry about the body mods. Is that the best way to go at it??

It is not bad, you gotta start somewhere. Just know if you are going to make any changes to the frame, like motor mounts, Z-ing , what ever, so you can work around that direction.

Make a list of everything you want to do, and make sure nothing gets in the way of the next thing you want to do.

One of my all time favorite quotes:

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

I don't know what your exact project is, but it's the same for anything - from cars to cabinetry. Get a plan, not a vague idea. Spend a day just sitting and looking at your car with a pad of paper. Think things through and get a very good idea of where you want to go and how it's all going to fit together. Write down info, decisions you need to make, and questions you need to ask. Try to get an idea of what will have to be done before others and what can be done anytime. AND do you want to be able to drive it as you work on it or is it going to sit until it is complete? Me, I like to section my work so I can drive during the summer and break it down in the winter. For that reason, most important to me is safety and driveability.

If that seems like to much, think about each area and what you want to do with each first - suspension, brakes, steering, frame, ride, body, drivetrain....etc, etc. Then sit back and pull it all together.

Also stop every once in a while and think if you are being realistic. After you have a plan, recall you have a budget, and decide what is going to fit into it, now and later.

When you are unsure what to do next - clean something. You'll figure out something to work on shortly.

Ok I really want to go ahead and start working on the car but kinda lost on where to start.I know the direction I want to go on it. I think I should remove the body and start boxing in the frame and get the Suspension done.Then worry about the body mods. Is that the best way to go at it??

Please refer to the Rat Rod Rule book... it has 10 easy steps for building one!!! :D:D:D

Or ck this on eHow... How to build a Rat Rod!

BoB

Please refer to the Rat Rod Rule book... it has 10 easy steps for building one!!! :D:D:D

Or ck this on eHow... How to build a Rat Rod!

BoB

I don't know if I trust that "How to...list" When it has something like this written on it,
"contrary to popular opinion, painting flames on them does not increase your vehicle's overall speed."
We all know the truth about flame paint.:D

I like to draw a sketch and list the parts I need to find and the ones I have. The next step is the tough one waiting til I have the missing parts before disassembly. I like to have 90% of the parts before I even start a project. That way once I start, I can keep on going. I don't have to wait for that elusive part that takes forever to find. Then the car comes apart. Assemble the major parts in a mock up to get a feel for where the problem areas are. Now your ready to start destorying things. Start with the frame and suspension then body placement then drive train. All that's left is to fill in the gaps before your first trip around the block.

Ron

This project has been killing me just seeing it sit there and not doing anything to it.I still don't know what motor I want to put in it or how to get a trird seat in there for my boy. I started pulling the car from the frame last night but I couldn't anyone over to the house to help lift it off.:( Maybe I can get a few guys over and set it off Sunday. Thanks for the input on where to start from and gives me any ideal on which way I should go.I have a bad habit over starting in one area and then going to another when it comes to my stuff.I think it is because I just want to see what it is going to look like right now.:D Well thanks again.

Last edited:
I usually don't follow my own advice very well even. It's hard to not just jump in. I've got to put my 48 Olds into storage, but hate the fact I won't be able to look at it every once in awhile when I'm working on my truck. So I keep putting that storage idea off.

This project has been killing me just seeing it sit there and not doing anything to it.I still don't know what motor I want to put in it or how to get a trird seat in there for my boy. I started pulling the car from the frame last night but I couldn't anyone over to the house to help lift it off.:( Maybe I can get a few guys over and set it off Sunday. Thanks for the input on where to start from and gives me any ideal on which way I should go.I have a bad habit over starting in one area and then going to another when it comes to my stuff.I think it is because I just want to see what it is going to look like right now.:D Well thanks again.

I have the same problem as you do as far as never having any help.Just use some straps and go through the window or right down through the roof and take it off with your cherry picker.I use mine all the time for stuff that i cant lift by myself.

What are you working on? It would be easier to get advise if we knew what you are working on.

I got my Model A body off by jacking it up a bit at a time and putting jackstands on either side with a 4x4 going across each end. Once it was high enough I pulled the chassis out from underneath and lowered the body on to a dolley I made to roll it around. Just be careful and don't get under it.

Read through some build threads and take note where all these guys start, I collected all my suspension parts, some wheels and got an engine and tranny before I started the frame. This way you can plan your ride height if it's gonna be lowered.

Maybe post some pictures,
Sean

I just saw a thread that says you got a Model A. So if you're looking for something to do I ripped out all the wood in mine and boxed the pillers with 1/8" strapping. Get the body squared up and make sure all the openings are the same. Line up the doors and get them working properly, which is next to impossible if the body is out. When that's done make sure you brace it to keep it that way, in the mean time you can be collecting your chassis parts and the time spent in the body will give you some ideas on how to build your frame. Decide how you want to tie in the sub-floor to the new frame and at least have it tacked in before you start cutting out the original crossmembers.

Read through this it tells you a lot about engine position, Z'ing the frame and suspension:

http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28617

This should keep you busy for a while:D, I thought I was ready to do some filler and start painting my body and I keep finding all these little things I missed along the way. Oh yeah, if you're gonna chop the roof I suggest doing that as one of the last things, I can't tell you how many times I hit my head and scratched my back getting in and out of my T.

Here's a link to my build that started out as a T and then changed to my A. I made some mistakes along the way and changed a lot during the build, hopefully you can learn from my mistakes.

http://www.vintagerods.ca/showthread.php?t=253

Good luck,
Sean

Latest posts

Back