Where was you at?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

Where was everyone at when they got the crazy news of the world trade centers being hit?

I was working at a plastic plant that made door handles for GM. They shut the factory down and made the announcement over the pa.

Sitting in Lowe's parking lot getting ready to go in to get materials for a job I was doing.
I thought there for a minute it was another hoax, like the war of the worlds BS.

Was working at Scotts Custom Auto Upholstery when it came on the radio. Turned on the TV and watched the towers fall.

Leaving a girls house, went over to a local breakfast joint to see it on the news. Only one tower down when I got there, second tower happened during wait for food. A sad, but interesting time.

I heard while I was driving to work in Heavy traffic on the highway. I clearly remember traffic slowing down as hundreds of us listening to our car radios heard the news. It's sad that my 1st thought was "f-ing Arabs" that was just after the 1st hit and we had no idea what was going to happen over the next hour.

~ In 2002 I was at Ground Zero. I remember standing near the cross just looking into the hole in the ground. I'm not really very "spiritual". I felt this incredible sense of sadness, hit me like a hammer. I'm a pretty tough guy and my eyes just welled up with water. I remember turning to wipe my eyes and I saw a NYC cop looking at me from a few feet way. He was wiping his eyes too. Sometime I will never forget.

Last edited:
..... my (now) x wife were woken around 5.54am- telephone- her dad .. he was up early and flicked on the TV....

ist thing I remember him saying was that he'd thought WW3 has started.... quick turn on your tv"..

he was so shaken he then had to stop himself from rambling, ....

we have a couple of bent I beams that were sent back with some our firefighters / rescue people

http://strongerchristchurch.govt.nz...-trade-center-back-in-place-near-fire-station

I was in Troy AL in my 95 Peterbilt with a load of plastic pipe I had brought out of Charlotte NC. Was getting the first half unloaded when John Boy and Billy {John Boy and Billy radio program, syndicated out of Charlotte } started talking about it on the radio. They stayed on the air over an hour past their normal sign off time of 9 AM Central time. Had to go to Jackson, MS with the other half of the load, drove across US84 and up US49, nowhere to stop and see a TV, only had radio reports and Fox news on XM to go by. By the time I got to Jackson MS after lunch, diesel fuel had shot up to over $6 a gallon! Luckily, I had enough fuel to get home on. I loaded back with steel coils in Jackson, and stopped at the Pilot truck stop to get something to eat. I then got to see the TV images for the first time. I went home, don't think I delivered the load for a couple of days waiting on things to settle down.

I think a lot of places had to rebate a bunch of folks on the fuel prices. Price gouging laws made them or they would have just kept it. I remember it was eerie to not see any planes or jet trails in the sky for days. I also remember it prompted me to go get my CC permit. If the rag heads were going to bring the fight here, I wanted to try to be able to protect myself.

I was out of work, my first daughter was about 2 months old. I had her with me and we stopped by my inlaws office and my mother inlaw had it (the news) on her TV. She told me a plane hit one of the towers about 15 minutes ago. My inlaws & I watched it for a while and when the second plane hit it became quite obvious it wasn't a random accident. I remember thinking what kind of world is my daughter going to be an adult in? To this day I still have a burning hatred for the people that did this. May they all burn in hell.

I was in my 8th grade drum line class. I remember stopping everything cause our teacher was freaking out and turning on the tv. Definitely somethingni will never forget.

I was driving about 3 hours from home to pick up a set of building plans for a bid. My brother called me. When I got there the Gc no showed his office. I called and he said he was too upset to come in and was glued to the tv.

I was scheduled to start work at 11 am that day and my GF was getting ready for work at about 8 or so. I was watching the Today Show and they said there was a report of a small plane hitting the Trade Center. Then they realized that it was a big plane, and I told my GF what I was seeing on TV.

As she was going out to her car, the second plane hit and I ran outside to tell her, and she said "What the H*** is going on ???" That is when we all realized this was something huge.

When I got to work everyone was glued to a tv and we were all in shock. We kept watching the tv all day as things unfolded. Today I couldn't bear to watch the shows on tv about that day, once was enough. :(:(:(

I can still feel the rage I felt and wanting us to turn the whole mid east into one level parking lot. :mad::mad:

Don

Was fixing a customer's telephone line in the house when this stuff hit the tv. Can remember the rage and the thoughts about turning the mid-east into a sand parking lot...

Watching the stock market. Recently retired FF thinking this isn't good, didn't know how not good till later. :(343:(. Quit a day. RIP all.

Out in the middle of the Amazon. We didn't hear about it until the evening, when we just happened to turn on the shortwave radio. By that time it was difficult to figure out what had happened, because the announcers were talking like everyone knew. I told my wife "I don't know what it is, but something big happened." It took about 20 - 30 minutes to figure out what it was. It was another several weeks before we were back out of the jungle, so we never did see any of the actual footage.

Latest posts

Back