Which spring for ford front axle?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

international rat

I still have to buy a spring for my ford 4" drop axle. I see several different options posies super slide, mono leaf, or just the standard front cross spring? Just curious as to what you guys think is one better than the other? Is it worth the extra money?

a lot of guys are usihg trailer leaf springs ...thats what im planing on using to,and there very cheap and they come in a lot of differant lengths

If you're going to mount the spring over the axle you'll probably have to go with Posie's to get the correct length. If you mount the spring behind the axle you can make your own mounts for the shackles and can compensate for spring length using a trailer spring from Tractor Supply or wherever. I never used a mono leaf spring and can't see any advantage to them.

Posies are well worth the money. The slider buttons give a much better ride and last an amazingly long time. I have a Posies on the front of my 27 that I am redoing and when I took the spring apart the sliders were still in great shape, and I installed that spring 20 years ago.

I bought a Speedway spring for the front of my 23 and drilled holes to add Chassis Engineering slider buttons and should have just bought a Posies in the first place, but I was trying to save a couple of bucks.

Don

I'm gonna post up becuase you asked, "Is it worth the money?"
I don't know what you are building but here is my 2 cents, maybe 3 cents.

You said "FORD" dropped axle, is it an original thats been heated and stretched or an aftermarket Ford STYLE dropped axle? If you're lucky enough to have a straight OG axle thats been dropped I would try and find an original spring. There are a ton of them out there, CHEAP! Plus it would probably look better meaning more period correct if it will be visible.

If you have an aftermarket axle and some money to blow go ahead and look into the other spring styles. Remember you can compare most of your spring options from inside a SPEEDWAY CATALOG. If you don't have one of these catalogs you should get one.

My other opinions: (I''ve used all of these except for the Mono Leaf)
Posies SuperSlide springs - Great springs, cost a little more but a convenient spring pkg.

Mono leaf springs - Expensive, you better know your correct spring weight and ride height when you order one. I'm pretty sure they come w/shims to adjust height but how many will you actually need? Looks good chromed.

Speedway/Mr Roadster - Affordable, alot of builders have used them, you can insert teflon liners(available thru Speedway) between leaf springs or do it old school and and put some grease between the leafs to mimmick the Posies spring.

Trailer Springs - They work if you do your research to make them work. Compare 'em to the other springs. "Is it worth the money?" and the time.

"Is it worth the money?" In my opinion, "It's what you can have for what you are WILLING to afford."

Just something for you to consider or confuse you more!

Good Luck

daddyt..
Yes it's a Ford axle that's been dropped 4"
Money is not really an issue and I'm not looking to go "cheap" on it but I don't really want to spend any unnecessary money on over priced parts. That's why i was wanting to know from you experts that has ran a few different springs.

I'm no expert, I just know what I've used.
You're a lucky ******* to have that axle! If I had that axle I would show it off. Let it be visible on your ride and find an original spring to hang on it. I'm in San Diego and just wondering if you had any history on that axle. Could that axle have started life in my neck of the woods? I'm daydreaming of a "back in the day" DAGO axle.
OK, I'm awake now!
What are you building anyway?

I'm no expert, I just know what I've used.
You're a lucky ******* to have that axle! If I had that axle I would show it off. Let it be visible on your ride and find an original spring to hang on it. I'm in San Diego and just wondering if you had any history on that axle. Could that axle have started life in my neck of the woods? I'm daydreaming of a "back in the day" DAGO axle.
OK, I'm awake now!
What are you building anyway?

By expert I meant anyone who's built or even owned a few hot rods! All I've ever had is trucks and a slew of muscle cars. I've never even worked on anything older then mid 60's.
I don't know any of the history on this axle, it would be kinda cool to have that info.
I started with a 41 International cab, I'm still collecting parts for it while I finish up a cab for a local guy. As soon as that's done I'll be getting started on my project!

Latest posts

Back