Who builds outside?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
built the last 2 in the front yard! working on the third one now ! check out my builds in my signature and youll see!cold and heat here can be brutal! but hey what c an you do! but rock on . had a fan out there today blownin in the shade!

Until about 1979 or so I never had a garage...........well, I actually had one in the early 70's but it had a dirt floor and I built my 32 RPU on that dirt. Tough to get a frame level, but you do what you have to do. Also built quite a few cars in my backyard. I think back now to how inconsiderate I was of my neighbors, making noise out in the yard at all hours of the night. Wonder they didn't lynch me.

Now we have a shop but still do a lot of stuff outside the door for the reasons Gastrick mentioned. It gets about 96 inside the shop until late at night so we sometimes move out in front of the shop where it is a lot cooler after dark. We also don't have a paint booth so that area IS my paint booth. :p

Don

tframefinallypainted004.jpg

It doesn't do much good to have a roof over my head when the water invades from the bottom. We had 16 inches in two days. It's one of the times I'm glad my little shop is off the ground. Same with the house. We had a river, about four inches deep running thru here for a while. The pic is before the real rain started.

Attachments

• Rain.jpg
    Rain.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 39
New garage

Well the garage has been done for over a week now. And I am now just getting time to move things in. So this weekend it will with all the junk and things we tend to collect over the years. I have space for the ol truck, my jap truck (daily driver for now) the beemer, the harley and tools with room for the kids car when she gets one this summer. I know packed but it will all fit.

52 Fordman

Attachments

• DSCF2363.JPG
    DSCF2363.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 23
I have done my share in the dirt,rocks,and grass. Now i have a 32x40 shop and still work outside(old habit??[S) most of the time the shop is full of customer bikes (and mine) and cant get anything else in, it doesnt matter how big you build it. it aint big enough.:eek:

I built my 52 Ford in the back yard...Three years in the hot Texas sun. I did the same thing while building the 39 Dodge until I passed out. I had a friend let me use his garage, but I could only use it when he was there, and that was only a few hours a week. Well, it took me a few months to save up the $1800 to build a garage. It took a week to get the concrete done, and two more weeks to get the garage built. I should have done this years ago. Now I have a 28'X28' Three bay, drive through garage. It's got 120/230 volt electricity, running water, refrigerator and coffee pot. All it needs is some RRR posters and memorabilia. One of these days I'll venture back into the house and re-introduce myself to the old lady.

Who Builds Outside

Quote: (One of these days I'll venture back into the house and re-introduce myself to the old lady.)

I told my wife that if ever came into some money that I would build a shop out back and move in out there, she said she's all for it.

Quote: (One of these days I'll venture back into the house and re-introduce myself to the old lady.)

I told my wife that if ever came into some money that I would build a shop out back and move in out there, she said she's all for it.
Aint it nice that our women are so supportive of our hobbies?? [ddev
Brad, glad you finally got into yer barn. Still waiting on my future SIL to install power for my welder in the garage. Not enough room in there for any more she-it in it, but it's dry and keeps the sun off my old gray head. I may try to put my other car outside and expand my operation. That will work until it snows and she wants to know WTF my old rustbucket truck gets to stay dry and she has to walk thru a foot of snow...:p

I am waiting for the kids to move out and then the wife and I are building our new "house".

Planning on starting with the garage and ending with the garage. Will have a loft for living area.

Grinding and welding area as well as paint area sectioned off.

She is all for it.

Of course it will be LARGE garage.

How hot is it....................

Its so hot in south Florida, I do all my body panel tig welding outside....no welder, just filler rod, do a scratch start, get a puddle going, and dab, dab, dab, dab ..........[;)[S What..............

Last edited:
I have worked outside for years. The biggest problem is dragging all the tools back and forth. I share a garage with my dad but it is filled with his projects...

I only work outside if it is an emergancy and the shop is full. To many years of changing trannys/motors on my back in snow, rain, mud, heat. Guess I am an old wussy!:confused:

Latest posts

Back