Who has the filthiest shop?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex1927

I used to work for a trucking company and the owner said a used shop cannot be clean.He had over 20 semi dump trucks and a filthy shop.
I took his advice and never clean mine.[cl
Actually,it is loaded with my late fathers,mine and my brothers stuff.
Marine engines,marine parts of all types,car engines,Chevy big and small,5 falcon 6cyls and trans ,any type lumber you could want,marine plywood ,etc,and dad`s ratrod body,build number 7,If I remember correctly.
It is used for storage mostly.We usually work outside.
It was my late fathers boat repair shop,then when he retired,we started using it for hotrods.Not wanting to put the lumber,engines,etc out in weather.
I want to start building a woodie tribute car for my Dad,but cannot find room.It has to be built inside out of weather.
My brother is going to try to find time to help me move heavy objects and try to get enough room to build one last woodie body.It will be car number 10 or 11 to come out of this filthy shop.It is also the last.I helped Dad build all the others,he loved woodies,but now that he is passed,the fun is gone.
The tribute woodie to him will be last.I will be shiney and a little wild and weird,if plans do not change.Then I plan to sell out all wood.
Plan to keep all metal and parts vehicles and probably most engines too.Will probably sell the falcon engines after they are dug out from underneath piles of wood.
I have the huge stack of ERC lumber for sale now, but have not found buyer for whole stack yet.A contractor tried to buy it last fall,so I know it will sell.But I need it gone now.
Man is it taking up room.:eek:

Attachments

• New Woody Conv. 035.jpg
    New Woody Conv. 035.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 112
  • New Woody Conv. 033.jpg
    New Woody Conv. 033.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 110
  • New Woody Conv. 032.jpg
    New Woody Conv. 032.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 104
  • New Woody Conv. 031.jpg
    New Woody Conv. 031.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 92
  • New Woody Conv. 029.jpg
    New Woody Conv. 029.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 89
  • New Woody Conv. 028.jpg
    New Woody Conv. 028.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 77
I used to work for a trucking company and the owner said a used shop cannot be clean.He had over 20 semi dump trucks and a filthy shop.

I can agree with that! Usually, after a busy week of tinkering in the garage, I have to spend an couple hours to pull out the big stuff (rat rod) and put tools away and sweep everything so I can start the next mess [P
I always look at these really nice, artfully done, clean, crisp shops and I'm envious. Every now and then I think of doing a nice floor, and paint with cool strips, but then I look around and reality kicks in. I can't see any walls anyways, floor is always covered in stuff and it will never look as good as "that guys".

Maybe one day I can have a nice garage to store the nice cars, then the shop.

I used to try and keep a clean shop but its hard to do..toooooo easy to simply walk away and procrastinate about cleaning up!
The Woody project sounds really good...keep us posted.....don't forget the pics too!

Since I literally worked until the last minute & didn't clean up B4 I left for Austin & was too tired to even think about doin' it when I returned I'm probably in the running for the trophy!!! :eek:

BoB

Mine gets pretty messy at times.....

but I get fed up with it and take a day or whatever to clean it and then sweep and vacuum the floor..... the kid however, usually comes right behind me with a project and screws it up again...never fails...:(

When you do wood work and metal work in the same shop, it ain't never gonna be clean. All that saw dust is handy for soaking up rat rod drippings. [cl

I do a clean up about once a week and a full shop clean twice a year or so depending - maybe more. My work benches seem to never get cleaned up - too much little crap that I just can't categorize. Sorting the big bucket of nuts. bolts, and screws is a good 'I've had too many beers' job.

Last one is for Dad

I will post some photos when I get going on tribute body.Going to build it using same traditional woodworking methods as Dad used on all his.Will probably have to modify his solid floor design later on,so I can go low and put driveshaft tunnel in.Anyway I am going to build like he would,then alter later on.
I have chopped cowl more and designed a longer body with a little different shape.Spent last month altering cowl and getting it ready.He built mold for cowls off the steel 1927 T cowl on his rat rod body in picture,so I just made one instead of hunting steel piece.Altering it took longer than it should being fiberglass,but I wanted it right.Still not finished with gauge pod on it.
This car will be a love it,or hate it kind of thing.But either way I want people to be interested in it.My goal is to win a trophy at one of the small local car shows to give my Mom since it is built in Dad`s memory.
I cannot compete with high dollar cars,so I am going for peoples pick,or sponcers pick,by going weird in some areas.Even my choice of wood is offbeat,but thats part of plan[cl
I will get started as soon as I get some help to shovel out enough room to build it.
This will probably be my last woodie unless this one has happy feel.His rat rod woodie body creeps me out since he passed.
I am not leaving hobby though.
Hope to get a 1940`s-50`s pickup and do the S10 Rat thing in a few years.[;)

Finally, a contest I can win!
You can eat off my floor too, but you had better drive yourself to the hospital.
I have 20 projects going at once, so the broom gets cobwebs on it some times.
Once I get to a point, that I can't stand it anymore, I stop everything, and clean up.

After years in the manufcaturing industry I have learned to keep a clean shop.

Having a place for everything and keeping it in it's place makes me more effecient, no need to search for this or that, I know right where it is and always put it back.

That is not to say that while I am working I am constantly cleaning etc. Just that it makes the final clean up much easier if you know where everything goes.

I suppose I lose on the dirtiest shop award but I can live with that.

By nature I am a lazy slob :eek: but I am getting better and force myself to put things away and sweep up often. We are getting rid of every flat surface in the shop because they tend to become catchalls. We also try to clean up at the end of every night so we don't have to walk back into a dirty mess and start cleaning before we can start working the next time.

Luckily, my two Sons are much more organized and orderly than me so they get on me and make me try harder. Now that you have mentioned this subject I think I will head to the shop today and get the office cleaned up, it is a real mess right now.

Don

Mine is a filthy mess too, a solid 1/4" of grinding dust on the floor it seems. I hate wasting precious garage time on cleaning.

In my defense, the "garage" was actually a one-man family auto shop for 30 years, so it was filthy when I bought the place....I just kept up the tradition :D

Latest posts

Back