Why didn't anybody tell me???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
That media blasters are awesome!!!!

Found a HF 40Lb set up on CL for 1/2 the original $. Besides the PO not sifting the media that was in it (took 20 min. to figure out why it was clogging constantly), this thing is great!

Unfortunately I didn't have enough grit, but I got the parts of my frame that need to be welded on cleaned up inside and out. Then since I had the frame outside, I figured I keep going till the grit was used up. Made it through 3 recycles and got some of the back area done. Figure I'll get it all when the rails are welded in.

I've used mine to etch pics on mirrors and such, I even did the side windows in a buddies 5-window etch flames on the glass - you can use it for all kinds of things - but I made mine out of a 60 gal air comp. tank - took alot of sand and lasted for quite some time.

I'm getting ready to blast my Stude frame with my HF pressure blaster. If it doesn't rain or snow tomorrow. I'm using 70 grit Al Oxide. I'l put down a big tarp and try to reuse as much as I can.

I'm getting ready to blast my Stude frame with my HF pressure blaster. If it doesn't rain or snow tomorrow. I'm using 70 grit Al Oxide. I'l put down a big tarp and try to reuse as much as I can.

Just remember to use a good hood with a mask, that dust from silica and Al Ox, both are bad for the lungs and when you reuse it, that it will loose its cutting edge and breaks down as far as the grit is considered [takes more to do the same area as new does]. Al Ox is pretty expensive compared to clean river sand. I could go through 1 to 2 hundred lbs. for a motorcycle frame ,tanks and fenders - depending on the grit and the finish I wanted. Have a Blast !

Blasters are awesome for cleaning the old, greasy and rusty parts. I love them.

My advice is to ditch the expensive "blasting media" and use play sand. It's $5 for a 50-lb bag from the Home Depot and it works great. If you can't recycle the blasting media, play sand is the way to go. Eye protection and AT LEAST a dust mask are mandatory.

Just remember to use a good hood with a mask, that dust from silica and Al Ox, both are bad for the lungs and when you reuse it, that it will loose its cutting edge and breaks down as far as the grit is considered [takes more to do the same area as new does]. Al Ox is pretty expensive compared to clean river sand. I could go through 1 to 2 hundred lbs. for a motorcycle frame ,tanks and fenders - depending on the grit and the finish I wanted. Have a Blast !

Yes, silacosis. However, AlO2 is not an inhalation hazard. Sand does contain Silica and the dust from sand is a health hazard. Wear respritory protection preferably a respirator with HEPA filter cartridge. I'm a H&S Site safety officer.

Last edited:
I thought sand was a big no-no anymore. Silicosis or whatever. Big tarp outside, face shield and a VERY good mask. Next time I'll prolly use the hood cause I don't like the grit in my ears, hair, etc.

I read somewhere I guy used it to cut his windshield for his chop. Took like 3 hrs. Might have been on the SPAMB.

The last time I sand blasted, several years ago, when I finished I pushed the blaster down to the end of the driveway and hung a "FREE" sign on it. Then I became good friends with a professional and am glad to give him all my sandblasting business.:D

Latest posts

Back