why do gassers run 3" lug studs? and

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flat6rick

as you all know a 53 plumouth uses a wheel stud screwed in to the hub. is there any reason i can not re drill the threads on the hub and press new studs through and use lug nuts? i have a hell of a time getting the studs loose. like to brake my arm every time one snaps. tried to grease them no matter ,tried to not ovrt tighten then, they will tighten there self, thanks for looking and hope a few answers for me

i dont know how to answer that question - but there is a conversion that will give you "modern" studs AND front disc brakes -- like is saved on my other computer or something but someone will know it here --

The reason some race cars run long studs is because NHRA has a rule that certain classes of cars have them. I think it has to do with more thread sticking out in case a lug nut comes loose.

Don

I never could figure out why that long of stud is used but as donsrods says. NHRA has a rule "the stud has to extend into the hex portion of the nut at least the same diameter as the stud". That of coarse is refering to the long nuts used on mag wheels. If you screw a long nut on to a factory stud it would not come close to half way it would only screw into the shank not the head. So when I drag raced we installed the long stud and then had nuts that had an open end so the stud went all the way thru and then if an official looked there was no question about it.
I dont see what it would hurt to drill your hubs and use press in studs. I know back in the day some would do this to convert from 4 hole wheels to 5 hole wheels. Mostly to save money rather than buy new hubs.

Last edited:
Long studs

My brothers race car has a 9" ford rear end with Mosser axels, and the studs screw into the hub, you dont need to drill out the hub for press in studs, just buy the right long studs, they sell them at Summit and Jegs, and I would guess if you contacted any of the big race axel builders, they could supply you with the right studs also. just my .02

What if...

When you went to loosing the nut to remove the wheel if the hub is not knurled to fit the splines on the stud it may just spin around and you wont get the nut to come off...unless you spot welded it...

i think you all hit on things

don is right for sure. i wonder if i can get studs thst aer threades two ways likr maybe 1.2 one way for the hub abd the rest of the stud for the wheels and nuts.

Years ago I got tangled up with a so called "Official" at a local drag strip over this very subject. Extra long wheel studs. I never did get a reasonable answer as to why they thought they needed to have a lot of extra stud hanging out there, swinging around in the breeze. Of course, it didn't help that I was about 16, and had all the answers but didn't know the question. Of course the first Official I come across was about the same age as I was. (He likely suffered from the same affliction as I did...had all the answers, didn't know the question.) His deal was, it's a saftey issue, and the longer studs were stronger. I said that was BS. Being longer would make no difference, being larger would. Well things kind of went south from there. What started as a question, and discussion, soon deteriorated into a hollaring match. A second Official intervened, the first one, got hauled off to one side to cool off. The second guy was likely in his thirties at that time, so he garnered a little respect right off the start. But that didn't last, because that's when I get the "Those are the rules and if you don't like it you can leave." The truth is, I doubt if I was going to get to stay anyway. So I pushed on. I asked, "if half of the exposed stud where cut off, would the wheel fall off?" I got an indigent NO! "How about if the stud was cut off right up to the nut, would it fall off then?" By now we had a bit of a crowd and a third Offical. These guys could see where this was going, so I got ushered off the premises and told not to come back. The last somewhat official response, was from Offical #1, a smirk and the finger. Never did get a real answer, and I never did go drag racing, at least not on a track. It was ironic that about a year later, Grand Bend closed and I ended up circle track racing. Grand Bend stayed closed for quite a few years until a new group opened it up and it has been going strong since. Maybe I should go back and see if anybody knows now, why the studs have to be so long? On second thought....Nah! :D

i think the reason they required long studs is so the tech man could tell your stud went deep enough into the lug nut. with the long stud and open lug nut a quick glance is all it took to check it

If you do drill them and put studs in, make sure the hub is completely flat where the stud shoulder is. It needs to be flat when installed.

like outlawracer said, they just want to see that there is enough threads in the lug nut. if they say you need an open lug nut and the threads need to come out past the nut then there is definately enough threads to hold the wheel on.
second part to that is if you run slicks they say you need to have a 1/2" dia stud min.

I got a PM back from the tech guy on the other forum, and here is what he said about the studs:

By the way, long studs and open ended nuts are as good as it gets in tech. The inspector needs only to glance at the wheel to see the studs sticking through the hex portion of the lug nut. With any other arrangement, he will have to get his 4-way and have the car owner remove a nut to check for legality.

All of us inspectors at Firebird reach down and give all the nuts a counter-clockwise twist to insure they are tight. Every Friday night, I twist off at least one nut. I have also found the nuts stuck to the wheel with bubble gum (on a car one night that had broken one stud and tried to limp through tech without fixing it)

I remember an early 70's Impala with screwed-on Moon discs on it. The owner was very reluctant to remove the screws and the discs so that I could inspect the nuts/studs. When I finally convinced him that it was either that or take it home, he removed them. The left front wheel was secured to the drum with two lug nuts.

So it is as we thought, to have enough stud sticking out of the wheel nut for safety.

Don

Latest posts

Back