Why does gear oil stink??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
I pulled a 9 inch out from under a mid 70's pickup to use under my 51 F1. When I tore it down the oil was black as tar and smelled awful. The smell seems to cling to ya all day too. Well I narrowed the rear and mounted it under my 51 and today it was time to put gear lube back in it so I said to myself "Self, get some Synthetic gear oil cuz maybe it won't stink?"..Wrong, it smells too, just like regular gear oil.
aab013.jpg

...So..anybody know why gear oil has to stink?:D

There's one good thing about it , when you're on the racetrack and seeing a little smoke and wondering what it is there's no mistaking if its the rearend.

It is a sulfur additive to help lubricate. I have opened up a bunch of old gear boxes, and it seems the stinky ones are in the best shape. I have heard Amsoil has one that is not so stinky, but if stinky works, use it.

Yea, I think it's the friction modifier/posi lube additive that smells so bad. Sometimes I get a tube of that stuff to add to my rear gear lube and it smells awful before you even put it in. As a side note, I once put a new posi center section in a nine inch Ford without adding the special posi lube and that rear made all kinds of ungodly noises until I put the additive in.

The rear looks great Fuzz.

My favorite sweater still smells of sweet hypoid, the women love it.

Oh, that stuff tastes like **** too. Don't lay under a tail housing when your buddy jacks up the motor.

Latest posts

Back