Why some car shows?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellwood59

What makes a car show 'the best!'?
What are some things that make us
drive (sometimes days) to go to one
show over any others?

Depends on what you like. For me its the type of cars. Im going to more shows that are pre 6o something. I get bored with shows that are half new cars. I have to drive further but thats fine by me

people

one show l go to every year is the "lake fair" car show. the reason l go is l get to see local people who only go to that show or come from out of state for it, so l usually get to visit with'em just once a year.

another two shows l like are in elma, the people who put on the shows are really cool and, again, get to see people l only get to see once in a while.

OH, YEAH, having rods there is good to:D

Later :cool:

One weekend I was laid over in LA... went to the Oakland Roadster Show then came back the next day to visit the NHRA Museum in pomona then the next weekend I went to the cross swap meet in Pomona...

I've driven from WI to TX twice for the Round-Up and a 200-300 jaunt is normal to me... driven to Autorama in Detroit, Indy Good Guys and the Road Rockets Rumble... and many others. I like the cars, the culture and the vibe of pre-'65 stuff.

Thanks for moving this thread.

I guess it's a 'given' that the type of cars & people dictate how far we'll travel for a show. My wife & I drove 8 hours for the last Hunnert Car Pileup that was in Morris. I'm a little bummed that one in the new location is now history.
Our club www.Drifterscc.com puts on a local show www.SteeltownShakedown.com in an old-school drive-in with a few bands (blues to rockabilly) and an old sci-fi movie at the end of the night to top it off. We've been at for about seven years now and I noticed that we slowly went from 20 cars at the first show (drive-in was closed then) to over 350 hotrods and twice that in spectators last year.
I know I prefer 'working class' hotrods that are driven. I'm not very impressed with six figure,jellybeen colored streetrods parked in rows next to this years version of the 'big-threes' muscle car offerings.
Anyhoo, thanks for the input and the space to ask and ramble.........:cool:

if anyone is going to the Jalopy Showdown, stop by & say "hey".

Attachments

• ol blue1.jpg
    ol blue1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 3
Shows have their own personality too! The promoters, the place, the other car owners & the people that come to the show. Some shows are just cooler than others, but that's just my funky opinion!

Beercan

Sam,
I won't be making many shows this year. We just moved onto some new property,lot's of work to be done(like building a garage) and I'm just recoopin' from some surgery.
Looks like The Jalopy Showdown (2 hrs away) and some local evening & weekend stuff. I'd like to make Austin,Tx. next year for the LoneStar Round up. That looks like a good one.
TorqueFest might be a good one also, straight shot across the interstate.

One weekend I was laid over in LA... went to the Oakland Roadster Show then came back the next day to visit the NHRA Museum in pomona then the next weekend I went to the cross swap meet in Pomona...

I've driven from WI to TX twice for the Round-Up and a 200-300 jaunt is normal to me... driven to Autorama in Detroit, Indy Good Guys and the Road Rockets Rumble... and many others. I like the cars, the culture and the vibe of pre-'65 stuff.

Wow... I'm jealous, all those shows are on my bucket list but I haven't been able to see any of them...:(

I'm pretty bored with all the local car shows, maybe I have been doing them for too many years. However, I love Billetproof and Turkey Run, those are the two shows I live for every year. Why do I like them? Several reasons:

1) More to do than just look at the show cars. Billetproof has a swap meet and Garlits Museum to visit. Turkey Run has a swap meet and cruising at night in Daytona.

2) Chance to get to see old friends. People you gab with on the forums become friends and it is nice to see them once or twice a year. It is also nice to put a face with a name and make new friends.

3) The cars themselves. I am sick of going to local shows and seeing row after row of new cars that I could see on any dealer lot. Billetproof is full of the cars I love the most, and even Turkey Run (although they now allow even newer cars in) still has enough cars of the type I like to make it ok.

Don

Latest posts

Back