Why you should have a tranny lockout!!! Accident waiting to happen!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
At the Lone Star Roubdup I saw something I have always been afraid of but never seen B4... a guy stopped his car in between the rows to back up into an empty space. For some reason he shut the car down. It had a big blown motor & when he started it back up it was in gear and lurched forward & ran up on top of another guys car. Didn't do much damage to the other guys car but it tore his car up big time & he had to trailer it home. I saw it happen, ck the foto. It was freaky & my daughter-in-law was standing right next to the car when it happened. It was really packed & luckily no one was in front of it or they would have been seriously injured or killed! This could have been easily avoided with a simple tranny lockout so the car would only start in neutral or park! HOW embarrassing!!!

BoB

Attachments

• crash.jpg
    crash.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 175
that would have been embarrassing! and you're right, someone could have been hurt or killed
sure makes a guy think about things differently--and that car didn't even look like a rat ;)

i saw in a mag article once how a guy rigged up a pressure operated brake light switch as a safety on the starting system-the car/truck would only crank with a foot holding the brakes--pretty neat and fairly simple, too

thanks tripper for the reminder

Question was he setting in the car or just reach in an turn the key? I hate seeing someone just reaching in an start the engine.

I have seen it more then once were they started the car and it took off. My car was almost hit one night because of the same think. I was at a cruise setting next to my truck when this asshat reach in a started the motor. The car started forward and just before it got to my car he got in and got it stopped. Which was a good think because I think he would not have liked the outcome if he hit it. He still got a good ripping from me.

Even with neutral and brake switches they still fail. People just got to get there lazy but in the car and put there food on the brake so when it happens They can stop it.

Sorry I had to rant. That is one of my pet peeves.

That's just plain scary!!:eek: I never reach inside and start anything! I've had a couple of cars jump out of gear and go...Sounds to me like he didn't have a neutral safety switch! A simple hook up that should be mandatory...CR

Ive seen a guy do the same thing. But in this case it was at work and the car was 6ft up on a drive on lift. Well the truck launched off the lift hit the wall and landed on a 20K alignment machine. We had to lower the rack and drag the truck out with a wrecker. It was a 5 speed ford f150 and it had a bad neutral safty switch. Talk about bad luck. He got fired the next day.

THere a guy on another site that seems to be the guy he hit. I think he said there was no one in the car and also complained that was not the only car that started in gear but the other had people inside and they got them stopped. Hes not a happy camper either.

Question was he setting in the car or just reach in an turn the key? I hate seeing someone just reaching in an start the engine.

There a guy on another site that seems to be the guy he hit. I think he said there was no one in the car and also complained that was not the only car that started in gear but the other had people inside and they got them stopped.

I was pretty sure he was in the car driving when it happened & my daughter-in-law who was standing right next to the car when it happened said he was inside.

BoB

My Son Don and I both have Lokar shifters with neutral safety switches, but every once in a while mine screws up and will start in gear. Where it happens mostly is when I am sitting in like at a drive through restaurant and I shut the engine off so I can hear what the person on the speaker is saying to me. Then I go to restart it and it jumps a foot and scares the bejesus out of me. I've got to readjust that.

My Son Don also had his T pop out of park and back into another car one night. Someone asked him to hear the engine so he reached over the side, turned the key and it started backing up.:eek: It backed into a Mustang and left some blue paint on her gravel pan. We never have been able to figure out what touched because all his paint shows nothing scratched. He told her to get an estimate and call him, but I guess it wiped off because she never did call, and that was months ago.

That is what is scary about some of the homemade shifters I have seen people post pictures of. If even the ones sold by companies can have problems I can only imagine what a Craftsman wrench for a shifter can be capable of. :D

Don

Saw it too...

I was a couple of cars away and heard it it start up and the crash as well, and it sure looked like the guy got out of the car after it hit.
P.S. Had a great time Tripper, and we can't wait to go back next year!

had a good buddy of mine hurt real bad because of just that, only it was a old fire truck, a fellow worker reached in and hit the starter and crushed keith between the bunper and roll up door , broke his leg and put him out of comimission for months, he was lucky to be alive, if the bumper was 6 inches higher it probably would have killed him or if the truck would have started:mad:

Latest posts

Back