Will 1929 speedo work with TH350 trans.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

structure17

Does anyone know if it would be possible to make a Model A Stewart Warner Oval face(1929) speedo work with a modern th350 trans. I want to keep the original dash. Original working speedo's are hard to find and can be expensive but if I can make it work it to me it would be worth it. My fear is that the new trans would just snap the internals or the old speedo. Any ideas? This maybe over my head but I am pretty determined. I am going to be watching some swapmeets for the original speedometer.

You might need a calibration gear to get the rpm's matched and difference in cable ends.

NP205Parts.jpg

You do know that speedometer stops around 60mph right?

I thought I saw they stopped at 80, i could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time.:) Would it break you think if you went over it threshold whatever that would be or do you think it would continue to spin around.

You might need a calibration gear to get the rpm's matched and difference in cable ends.

Thanks for the picture. Looks like something that could be done. Inside part a is I am assuming where you would change the gearing around. Like the idea Thanks. Will have to keep you posted how the trial and tribulations go.

Come on guys.... you've never driven over the

I thought I saw they stopped at 80, i could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time.:) Would it break you think if you went over it threshold whatever that would be or do you think it would continue to spin around.

Thanks for the picture. Looks like something that could be done. Inside part a is I am assuming where you would change the gearing around. Like the idea Thanks. Will have to keep you posted how the trial and tribulations go.

limit of the speedometer needle??? Really??? Mine used to disappear to the bottom of the speedo after the 100 mark..gone...vanished..never seemed to hurt it..... always came back to zero and read ok... are you guys pulling my leg???? this is a joke right? [S By the way, 70's and 80's GM 4x4's used those gear reducers in varying ratios which are normally available by the ratio itself.... I used to have some that I used on my Dealership demos that cut the speedo by 50% hench mileage was 1/2 as well... of course that was years ago and is Illegal now......:D

If my memory serves...Model A speedometers have internal thread for the cable fitting whereas most others have external threads. Finding a cable that fits the Model A speedometer and the GM trans could be a problem.

could you get both the gm and model a cables and make a Frankenstein cable with one end from one and one end from the other. Or my Other thought is to use both cables but splice them together using the gear reducer have once side of the gear reducer be the gm attachment and the other side be the model a attachment. Just thinking out loud at this point. Thanks for the help guys. Feeling more like this will be possible just need to gather the necessary parts.

Why not Frankenstein the cables?
It is basicly a guitar string running through the casing.
the ends are crimped on the casing as well.
remember you can calibate the speedo by changing the
plastic gears in the transmission.
The speedo will not break, duh.....it justs runs off into the water temp gauge....lol

my 85 mph s15 jimmy didn't hold up, so i would say yes it will brake.

Latest posts

Back