Will '95 Roadmaster parts mate with fit Scout 2 steer box?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I'm considering using a Scout 2 steering box on my 37 Roadmaster.
Primary reasons are they bolt to the outside of the frame and have a forward facing pitman arm.
I would like to mate the parts from a my donor car (95 roadmaster that has a Saginaw model 800 gear box) to the scout 2 gearbox.
I found a website that says many saginaw pitman arms are interchangeable:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...tart-list-oem-lengths-future-reference-2.html
1) Does anyone know if the pitman arm from a model 800 gearbox will fit the Scout 2 gearbox?
2) I can buy a scout 2 gearbox with 3/4 or 13/16 input shaft. Does anyone know what the input shaft on the model 800 gearbox is?
Thanks

Last edited:
A rod builder on a different website instructed me that the Scout 2 gear box is normally mounted in front of the axle with pitman arm facing forward. If I use behind the axle then car would turn wrong direction. I may be able to turn the pitman arm 180 degrees but I think it may be difficult to to fit the Scout 2 gearbox behind the control arms with the Pitman mounted rearward. A different possibility may be a 4runner ifs gearbox. Standard mount is in front of axle with a rearward pitman arm (see picture). If I mount behind axle for & can turn pitman arm 180 degrees to forward facing then should give me the result I want.
1) Does anyone know if a 4runner ifs Pitman arm can be mounted in forward position?
2) Prefer to use Saginaw. Does anyone know of a Saginaw steer box that mounts on outside of frame and would operate in this manner?
Thanks

Attachments

• Steer box installed, 4runner IFS.jpg
    Steer box installed, 4runner IFS.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 16
Why not settle on a front suspension that's been done and quit trying to re-invent the wheel or figure out what it weighs.

That was my thoughts.There is nothing wrong with doing things different but dont expect the world to have answers to questions no ones thought of.There is a lot of leg work in being first or doing it different.

Why not settle on a front suspension that's been done and quit trying to re-invent the wheel or figure out what it weighs.

That was my thoughts.There is nothing wrong with doing things different but dont expect the world to have answers to questions no ones thought of.There is a lot of leg work in being first or doing it different.

My thoughts too. If you want an ifs just graft in a Mustang II. Part are easy to get, it works and will cost you less in the long run.

I'm considering using a Scout 2 steering box on my 37 Roadmaster.
Primary reasons are they bolt to the outside of the frame and have a forward facing pitman arm.
I would like to mate the parts from a my donor car (95 roadmaster that has a Saginaw model 800 gear box) to the scout 2 gearbox.
I found a website that says many saginaw pitman arms are interchangeable:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...tart-list-oem-lengths-future-reference-2.html
1) Does anyone know if the pitman arm from a model 800 gearbox will fit the Scout 2 gearbox?
2) I can buy a scout 2 gearbox with 3/4 or 13/16 input shaft. Does anyone know what the input shaft on the model 800 gearbox is?
Thanks

I'm not sure if I understand what it is you are doing, but are you wanting a front facing pitman arm? If so, I think the Chevy Astro minivan one faces forward. Since it's GM, odds are it should mate to the rest of your components as well. If this is not what you are going for, then I probably can't help.

I'm not sure if I understand what it is you are doing, but are you wanting a front facing pitman arm? If so, I think the Chevy Astro minivan one faces forward. Since it's GM, odds are it should mate to the rest of your components as well. If this is not what you are going for, then I probably can't help.

They swing the opposite direction as other power steering boxes, I have one in my hotrod

2wd, seems like about a 95. Bolts on the inside of the frame and the pitman arm can be clocked in 90 degree increments so you could point it for or aft, depending on which way you want tit to swing.

Latest posts

Back