Will a '63 289cu work with a c6 tranny?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deluxerux

Will a '63 289cu work with a c6 tranny?

Just like the title says. I got a lead on a cheap 63 289 and have a unknown year c6 tranny sitting around. Will these two mock up together or is there some alterations needed.

Not sure if this is supposed to be in the engine or tranny forum.

The 63-64 260/289 were all 5 bolt bellhousing. In 65 they went to a 6 bolt bell. As far as I know they never made a 5 bolt small block C6.

I would check the engine to make sure its a 63-64. Just count the bolts in the back of the block

You can go with a C4 with the early bell 5 bolt bell.

also need to mention that there are at least 3 different bolt patterns on the c-6..... one for the "small blocks" 6 bolt 289,302,351w and 351 cleveland all bolt to this one; the second is the "FE" which is the 352-390-427-428 and then the "bigblock" which covers/bolts to 351M/400 and 429-460

ya gotta love fords......or else you'd work with something else!:eek:

Just for future reference, the codes C4 and C6 are actually the first two digits of the part numbers of the transmissions. The C means the first one came out in the 60s and the 4 and 6 are the year in which they were first introduced. C4-1964. C6-1966. Here's a link to better explain.
http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/FordTechData.html

That true but they are to different trans. The C4 have a detachable bell were the C6 the bell is part of the main body.

The C6 is large and harder to fit in tight frames like the 1935-40 Ford frame. The C4 will slip into the x member were you will have to modify the x member to fit the C6.

The stock C4 will take up to 450 HP were the stock C6 with take up to 700Hp.

The C6 take 20 more horses to make work.

The C6 is 45 Lbs heavier

The 1970 on up C4 are better then the 1969 on back. The early trans had a 24 spine input shaft and 24 spline tail shaft. The 1970 on up has a 26 spline input shaft with a larger front pump and more clutches in the clutch packs.

The C4 was originally were designed for the light cars like the Mustang and Falcons. The C6 was design to replace the FMX, FX trans in the heavier cars and trucks.

You can find after market Fe and 429/460 bells for the C4 but the trans is light for those motors unless they are built for racing.

The C4 is still be using in racing because of its light weight and less horses power to get them to work

Thanks for all the information guys. I decided not to get the 289 afterall. I'm keeping my eyes open for what ever else I can find in the area that wouldn't be too expensive. The 289 I was looking at was pretty bare for the price he was asking.

Anybody near southern WI that wants to donate a SBF, BBF, or Flathead to me? Haha.

Latest posts

Back