Will a radiator on end work?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

Read about someone turning a wide OEM radiator on end so that it will fit in a 30's vintage car.
Does a radiator work effectively when turned like this?
Thanks

I turned a Torino radiator on end and stuck it in a 35 chevy grill, works just fine.Had to put an inline filler in the top hose.

attachment.php

Attachments

• motor7.jpg
    motor7.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 63
Simply put: yes, but not as well. Taking a guess - maybe like 10-15% less efficient.

Now that I said that, I'm not sure it's true. Used to have an explanation of it all saved, but lost it. So that might just be the loss due to different construction of radiators and not actual flow direction.

I take the universal aluminum radiators from Speedway and turn them up on end and relocate the filler neck to the top tank. They've all worked great.

Like the others have said, it will work fine. I used the rad from an 84 Cutlass, turned it on end and put it in a 38 Chevy. The biggest drawback was that the filler neck was on the angled end of the tank, so it is a little tough to fill.

Oops looks like I may have inadvertently deleted these :eek:
So here they are again.
This is a universal Chevy radiator from Speedway I rearranged to make a 47 Ford flathead radiator.
I'm going to do a universal Ford radiator for my 33 build beacuse, it puts the outlets in the right position and I only have to change the filler neck layout.
http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27309

IMG_6914Medium-1.jpg

IMG_6915Medium-1.jpg

IMG_6917Medium-1.jpg

IMG_6918Medium-1.jpg

IMG_6919Medium-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back