Will I ever drive the speed limit again?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photog

Now that I am on a search for a car or truck I find myself driving 10 miles an hour under the speed limit and rubber necking at all the old farms in my area.... even have the kids looking! Anyone else find themselves driving slower when near old barns etc?

i know what your feeling, i once took a girl on a date on back roads lookin for old iron but she was a hot rod chick and i think it mighta even been her idea.

2578201793_80e2a9dc9a.jpg

me and my dad have hit every single road, dead end or alley within 30 miles of my house in search of old cars.:D

Old tin search

In any event, while searching old barns, or feedlots etc, I always take hornet spray, and a stout pole in case of snakes, and maybe something to cut tall weeds out of the way. :)

LOL...the Mrs complained today about the aforementioned 13 yr old daughter... seems she has been telling Mom to slow down so she can look in barns.... She is SO Daddy's lil girl!

I like it better when someone else drives 'cuz I don't drive so good when I'm rubberneckin'
Here you have to get off the beaten path to the ranches.
I never, ever go on the property without permission tho. I had to abandon the hopes of getting at a 49 Merc, Fordson on steele and a couple 55 2drs because I cound't locate the owner of the land.

Cars I have seen or found within 10 miles of town.
Known for sale
46 Ford coupe with a 303 olds
36 chevy pu
37 ford truck
41 " "
41 Ford COE
59 Dodge 2 dr. low milage 6 cyl car with a 440 now in it, in a shed.
2 36 Chevy coupes
2 28-29 Model A tudors
49 Fleetline
46 F1

Jeez, so many, those are just a fraction and all complete cars.
I also have yet to go get the running freeby 59 Dodge COE with the hemi. That's about 100 miles out and he also has a running 49 GMC shortbed and another one and a 48 Ford car pretty much complete and a 27 Dodge coupe body.

As far back as the 70's we would load up the Kids on a Sunday and drive up into the mountains in Pennsylvania, supposedly for a nice Sunday drive, but the real reason was so I could check out all the rural areas for old cars sitting around.

In recent years I have taken to bringing my bicycle with me and peddling all over the local industrial parks. In a car you drive by too fast and miss stuff, but on a bike you can slowly move along and scan the area pretty well. I take a notepad and pen with me and stop and log the location and what car is sitting there. Then I can go back later and see if it is for sale or not. Plus, it is a great way to get some excercise. :D It's amazing what all you can see when moving that slow, and you are not having to keep pulling your car over everytime you think you see something.

Usually you don't find many old cars in industrial areas, but you do find some good donors, like wrecks at body shops, etc. I found the 68 Olds we got my Son's 455 engine out of that way, guy was leaving town to avoid the law, and needed cash. :eek::D

Don

LOL...the Mrs complained today about the aforementioned 13 yr old daughter... seems she has been telling Mom to slow down so she can look in barns.... She is SO Daddy's lil girl!

A truely good father helping shape the future of our hobby. Good Job!!!

Latest posts

Back