Willys

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJ

I bought a willys pickup [cl going to haul it home problem is it was sanded down to bare metal about a year ago and been setting in a dry barn not rusted to bad just a little surface rust. There is a few spots on the roof rusted threw top cab corner above windshield. I am not going to start this project for a while plan on sanding down and shooting it with self etching primer then putting it in the shed under a tarp is there anything else I need to do?[S

Don't use etching primer, use epoxy instead. Better for the truck and you can do your bodywork over top of it with no repercussions!...Don't forget the pics!:D..CR

Here are some photos ( maybe)
willys004.jpg

willys005.jpg

i use ppg and dupont materials, personally

...really like the ppg "omni au" budget line epoxy primer it mixes 2 to 1 with catalyst and is available in quarts...fairly affordable and is "hotrod gray" in color
as far as what to do before...i would sand it down with 80 grit and spray it....

i would also recommend NOT putting a tarp on it-they will "sweat" and leave you with more rust than you could imagine...seriously

and the truck looks like a solid candidate to build...

I have shot self etching primer but never epoxy I will ask my paint guy at napa about it The weather here in Iowa not real great for a couple of months dont want to put my car out in the snow To get the willys in. I only have a one stall shop that I can heat and have my project 54 in there I hope to drive it out in the spring. Good news is my wife wants the willys for her project. The willys has been in a barn for a couple of years with out any pant on it it will just need to set in our barn till spring. good call on the tarp. If Iwait till spring I will have more part hunting time.

Its a 58 but they all look about the same I have had a few of them going to make this one a 2wd, smallblock chevy, 400 turbo, may put it on s-10 frame or may straight axle the factory frame need to get out the tape and see. cant find much about frame swapping a willys this body style.

Latest posts

Back