Windshield frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1968Canam

I have been looking for a winshield frame for a 1926 Dodge, but haven't found one. What would be the best material to make one? Any one had experience makeing a frame and where would get the rubber for the inside? Any chance one of the forum members has a frame or knows where to get one.

Thanks Don

I may have one, It is an old Dodge with the posts, but it doesn't fit my Dodge cowl. It is in poor condition however. What should it measure center post hole to center post hole?

Windshield frame.

I have a old sedan that was cut down for a pickup cab. I will check the width and let you know.

Thanks don

width

Sorry this is takeing so long to reply. I took time out for a operation.

The width is 45 1/2 inches.. I think it will take the frame out of a pickup or sedan..

Thanks Don

Sorry this is takeing so long to reply. I took time out for a operation.

The width is 45 1/2 inches.. I think it will take the frame out of a pickup or sedan..

Thanks Don

Mine is way narrow, like maybe 31 inches or so. You may be back to building one. If I was building a frame I would start with the two posts. Mine taper towards the top, and have a decorative point. They are also offset to the outside. The frame itself is just a channel. Mine is two panels, an upper and a lower. The very bottom one is curved to match the cowl.

Depends on how much work you want to do, But a fixed single pane windshield would be pretty easy to build. Starting with tubing that fits in the pockets.

I would cut the sedan posts off and form a pair of posts to bolt to the cowl. A friend of mine did this using the tapered legs off a kitchen cail he bought at a thrift store. For the frame, a lenght of 7/8", 16 or 14 ga. tubing with a 3/8" slot cut in it will work. To set the glass, use silicone caucking. You can also buy the windsheild tubing from Total @ $5 a foot.

Ron

I would cut the sedan posts off and form a pair of posts to bolt to the cowl. A friend of mine did this using the tapered legs off a kitchen cail he bought at a thrift store. For the frame, a lenght of 7/8", 16 or 14 ga. tubing with a 3/8" slot cut in it will work. To set the glass, use silicone caucking. You can also buy the windsheild tubing from Total @ $5 a foot.

Ron

widshield frame

Thanks for the help. I just need the frame and I should be able to build it. I think I will try rectangular tubeing first. Maybe 5/8x 1 inch. I think I have some of it. I think I will be able to bent it in the shape of the lower cowl and then cut the slot out. I will give it a go anyway. This is the least of my problems. I found out the doors are tweaked and the body is out of wack. I think the body is going to be harder than the rest of the rat rod.

Thanks Don

2008_0803box0006.jpg

I made this windshield frame with 3/4" conduit. the bottom tube was bent to shape with a conduit bender. I cut a 1/2" slot in the bottom tube and the upright tubes with a sawzall. Then I welded 1/2" by 1" 16 ga. box tubing in the slot. The box tubing was cut off to leave a 3/8" wide by 1/2" deep channel in the conduit for the glass to set in. The glass installer used regular 1/16" thick glass setting rubber to install the windshield. Pretty time consuming, but I'm retired so it didn't matter.

Nice job. The more ideas I get, the better off I am. It looks like you just spread the conduit apart and put the channel in it. Is this correct.

Thanks Don

No, I actually made two saw cuts a half inch apart, with a sawzall, for the full length of the 3 tubes.

Latest posts

Back