wiring harness

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countryss

I just got a Ron Francis bare bonz wiring kit and asked three different people how much they would charge to wire the my car they each said minimum of 2500.00. IS that a decent asking price or am I being ripped off? The car does not have ac/heat/power windows. It is carbed. other than that its the normal other stuff like headlights taillights radio ignition distributor. just seeing if anyone has gotten this done and what the prices look like.

i just wired my jeep myself.
it wasnt very hard and i had zero experience.
total cost.
$100

Last edited:
$2500 is a bit high...do it yourself. Ron Fransis kits have excllent instructions, just take your time and test each circuit as you go along. Ask questions on this site cuz there are many good folks here that will help you.

Do it yourself. That's what Rat Rodders do! [;)

The new harnesses have each wire labeled and makes it simple. Begin with separate circuits like forward of the firewall, rear lighting, dash then interior. It doesn't have to be in that order or do it lights, engine, accessories and so on. Just concentrate on one circuit at a time and it will make it easier and less complicated.

Yes, do it yourself, don't be intimidated by it. Ron Francis has good instructions & $2500 is pretty darn high for a basic system, those kits are only 12 circuits I believe. It's done in sections so think about it like that, go from each section to the next. You should be able to do it in a weekend with a little help.

ISore

I'll do it for $ 2495.00. :D No, IMO that is way high. Even the marked kits take some work but they sure make it easier than starting from scratch. I've always done my own wiring because I like to use marine grade wire and terminal ends.........I work in the marine industry so I get the stuff a cost. However, we used a Summit kit on my Son's T (I think Painless makes it) and it was a pain. Very bad instructions and some confusing parts. My Son Dan did wiring for a living on boats and cars and even with the 3 of us putting our heads together it took 3 days to sort it out.

I bought Dan an American Autowire kit for his RPU and it looks much better. I would suggest getting a quality kit and doing it yourself. They use crimp on terminals so buy yourself a good pair or crimp pliers and have at it. You can put that $ 2500 to better use. :D:D

Don

Do it yourself. Basic car wiring isn't a dark art. Finding a short can seem to be, but running a new loom isn't. One system at a time and you'll have no problem. And if you do run into a snag, you've got about 5,000 people on RRR to ask for help. :)

I assume those kits are complete. 2500$ seems outrageous for a rat rod. A sparkly show car - sure. Consider how much your time is worth. At 25$/hr, you could work at it for 100 hrs (8hrs a day, 14 straight days) and still break even.

Besides the pride you'll have of doing it yourself, you'll have a better understanding of your cars electrical system.

thanks. Yea the instructions are very clear and detailed but having done no other wiring except putting up a shop light in my garage I am quite intimidated by the amount of wires and the beautifully color coded diagrams!! Are there any suggestions on what should be the starting point? i was thinking engine in that way i can test everything as I go. Does that sound right?? Also Im not sure you guys dont want to hear this but this is for an 87 monte carlo that I turned rat. Copper gauge cups I made as well as a sheet metal dash with a license plate as a glovebox cover. Will post pics this weekend. I hope I am not shunned from the board I need all the help I can get now.

Not every car appeals to everyone. However, I'm sure you'll find people here that will like your ride. No shunning here either. Post with confidence. If there is something dangerously wrong with your build someone will point it out, but in a nice, helpful way.
I do all my wiring from scratch because it is cheaper. I like to solder and shrink tube all the connections.
Find a convenient place to mount the fuse panel and lay the wires out toward their intended destinations. If all your wiring has been removed, you might want to go to a junkyard to see how the factory looms to the engine compartment, front lights, rear lights, etc. are routed. Take a pencil and note pad. Good luck.

Were are you located? Maybe someone here can help you. I have done 3 and would help over the net. It is not hard just take your time. If you lived close to eastern Oregon I would do kit for $150 or less. Good luck. Oh and $2500 is an absolute rip off in my opinion.

i have wired a coupe witha basic 12 wire system, in about 2 hours after i layed everything out. pretty simple, the worse part is getttin everything tucked away and clean,! but 8 hours later done and running!:D

good for you!
it is a little spooky at 1st but once you start it isnt that bad.
thank god for wires with labels!

DSCN1499.jpg

DSCN1500.jpg

DSCN1498.jpg

DSCN1502.jpg

The gauges are cool. The one thing I really don't like is that radio installation. Get rid of that plastic surround and do the same copper treatment like the gauges. Any exterior pics?

You might get a few 'don't care for it' type comments, but everyone here respects the build it like you want mantra.

I'd suggest figuring out where to put the fuse box and start with the engine systems.

I started wiring the car already and so far its going quite smooth. I recently picked up an old philco tube radio where i will mount under the dash to store my fuse panel. question: can i splice into the starter wire to run a hot for my carb?? it says to not splice into alternator or distributor.

I would try to locate another hot wire before I use a starter wire. Just in case anything happened while you were out, at least your car would start. I'm glad you're wiring it yourself. The price you were quoted was CRAZY![S I had limited experience when I wired mine. I tore out the wiring harness from a 76 Chevy pickup and used it in my 37. A few traumatic experiences, but if you stop and think things through you can usually come to a conclusion about how to do it right. If not, post in here and I'm sure someone will explain how to do it the correct way. A lot of great information on this site![cl Good luck....CR:D

There should be something on the panel that is "keyed hot" meaning it will be hot when the key is turned on, and will be a completely different circuit from the starter, alternator or distributor....that's the one you should look at using

Glad you decided to tackle this yourself....IF there is a problem down the road, you'll know where to start looking, and won't have to rely on someone else who just wants your money:D

Latest posts

Back