wishbones help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mexabilly

hey i need a lil help i need to achive the 5-7 degrees of camber in my front axle and i was told to do so by cutting a pie cut out of my wishbones, so does anyone out there know about how much i would have to cut or know how to figure it out?

Sounds like you can't drop the back of the wishbones down far enough to achieve the caster you want? If you really need to cut a section out of yours to make it work, there is no rule of thumb, every car is different. I would block it at the ride height you envision the car ultimately ending up at, and then take only enough out of the wishbones to make the back end line up with where you are going to mount them.

I would also put some gussets on the cut portion to reinforce them after you get done welding them back up. These radius rods weren't all that thick when new, so anything you can do to make them stronger is a good thing.

Don

I went to a show this weekend and there were a lot of open wheel vehicles using old style bones . Every one of them had a weld seam on the bones a couple of inches from the axle . It was obvious nobody got their castor correct with out cutting and adjusting the bones .

I went to a show this weekend and there were a lot of open wheel vehicles using old style bones . Every one of them had a weld seam on the bones a couple of inches from the axle . It was obvious nobody got their castor correct with out cutting and adjusting the bones .

They have a weld there from the factory...

hey i need a lil help i need to achive the 5-7 degrees of camber in my front axle and i was told to do so by cutting a pie cut out of my wishbones, so does anyone out there know about how much i would have to cut or know how to figure it out?

How much have you got now ? :confused: [S

They have a weld there from the factory...
I have never used old bones and until mexabilly asked his question I never looked at them real close . Because he is having a problem positioning them to get the correct camber I figured the weld was how guys corrected that . So next question is how did all those guys make theirs fit with out cutting them and he can't. Would be nice to know in case I ever go that way sometime , cause they do look cool .

As Don said mock the frame up to ride hiegth and see where the bones are in relationship to the frame. Chances are good you won't have to do anything. If you do, you will need to do this anyway to figure out the amount to be removed.

Ron

well right now i have about 1-3 degrees everyone i have talked to told me it will not really hurt to roll like that it would be bad if it was 0 or in the negative but they said to try it out and see how it goes. i could plug weld were i have my spring pivot then cut my bones to correct my mistake but for now i will try this out. i found out what i did i had set the frame up with the bones flipped upside down and never thought about it when i put em right side up .flipped upside down i would have the correct camber i thought about trying it out too.

A small point; it's caster you are adjusting. Camber is the amount the top of the wheel tilts in or out from vertical when viewed from the front.
Caster is the amount the top of the kingpin tilts rearward (usually) from vertical when viewed from the side.
I like around 5 degrees of caster on solid front axle set ups. 1/8" toe in and 0-1 degree of camber, either positive or negative. Adjusting camber requires bending the axle.

Youngster, Nice to see you posting on RRR.[cl It's been a while.

1-3 degrees caster is nowhere near enough. You WILL have problems! Factory Ford settings were 6-8 degrees. I usually set mine at 8-10. Just cut the bones, spread them until you have the proper caster and weld them back up. It's not a big deal really. Make sure your perches account for the movement as well or your spring & shackles will bind...

1-3 degrees caster is nowhere near enough. You WILL have problems! Factory Ford settings were 6-8 degrees. I usually set mine at 8-10. Just cut the bones, spread them until you have the proper caster and weld them back up. It's not a big deal really. Make sure your perches account for the movement as well or your spring & shackles will bind...

well my spring perches are right where i woul have to cut so i would have to plug weld em shut to do that. i know i could cut em further back but man that would put a real noticable kink in it and it would look like butt.

well my spring perches are right where i woul have to cut so i would have to plug weld em shut to do that. i know i could cut em further back but man that would put a real noticable kink in it and it would look like butt.

All the more reason to fix it right the first time. You will be glad you did!

You asked about putting the bones on upside down. Structurally that should not be a problem. It might look a little odd, but that can be a good thing now days.

A picture of your set up would be very helpful.

caster

so let me get this straight,I wanna set my degree finder on top of the king pin and have 5-7 degrees leaning towards the rear of the car?
thanks
Hawk

Latest posts

Back