wondering about metal prices...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrod preacher

"Official RRR Chaplain"
stopped today at a "local" metal shop to get prices on rectangle tubing for the frame of my next project (first attempt to build a frame) anyway i was kinda surprised at prices

2x3x3/16 was $8.10/ft

2x4x3/16 was 10.00/ft

just thought i'd see what anyone else was having to pay.............

i may just build off of the stocker!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

2 x 3 x 3/16th. Last week I paid $130 for a 20' pc. I called around and found the price varied to as high as $178 for same pc. Funny thing, not one place stocked that size, they stock 1/4" and 11 ga.
Whenever I buy steel I take my generator and chopsaw or portaband and cut in the parking lot so it will fit in the truck. Beats paying $5 per cut.

I buy alot of steel, so I usually get pretty good prices, but prices have only been going up. Nothing surprises me. Sounds like they are not too far out of line there.

If I can find what I need in the shorts rack it is 50 cents a pound. THere are lengthe up to 12 feet, but the inventory is spotty.

The price is up 40% ro so in the last 6 months. I am now paying $140 for a 22 foot stick of 2x3 .188 wall, and thats at wholesale..

I just asked a local supplier that I use (that actually sells to the public) about a 20ft piece of 2"X4" 3/16" wall tube. Yesterday it was $240 because it was in stock. If I had to order it and bring it in it would be $290. Thats the price in Chicago area.

I buy a lot of steel. Over $2000 last week. Steel is pretty much sold by the pound. Just about all I buy is sheet. It runs just a little over a $1 per pound wholesale. I buy in with another shop. He buys a lot more than me.

Now 2x4 3/16 is 6.8 lbs per ft, 1/4 is 8.8

and 2x3 3/16 is 5.6 1/4 is 7.1

So do your math and see what you are paying and how much mark up there is.

Latest posts

Back