Worth salvaging?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Hey guys..I've been lurking on here enjoying your builds. A lot of good information and a lot of talented people.

I found this truck that was unearthed after some construction near my house. As you can see by the weeds and trees growing up and around it it's pretty bad off. The roof is dented and the header is rotted out. The bed is garbage. There is not floor which is normal. The dash is partially rotted out. The roof drips are rusted and pitted.

Oh by the way...it's free.

I was hoping to salvage at least the cab maybe the frame for a build. It's an 48-50 F-3.

I am building a 65 mustang here is the link so I have some body skills.

http://mike65mustangrestoration.blogspot.com/

Not sure about the cab and doors. I think I can. I have seen others do more with less. Just looking for a little insight.

Thanks.

Attachments

• truck 001.jpg
    truck 001.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 127
  • truck 002.jpg
    truck 002.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 133
  • truck 003.jpg
    truck 003.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 115
  • truck 004.jpg
    truck 004.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 111
  • truck 005.jpg
    truck 005.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 105
Oh by the way...it's free.

DUDE... that would be at my place asap! Perfect material for a ratty! The bed floor may be rotten out but the sides look good. Get it B4 someone else does!!! :D

BoB

Attachments

• f1rpu.jpg
    f1rpu.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 83
  • F1 truckster.jpg
    F1 truckster.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 68
My answer was 'yes' even before I opened the thread! :D (really)

It looks like there is definitely something salvageable there - especially for the asking price. I like the trees growing THROUGH it - nice touch!

If the the roof is too far gone, it's a roadster. If the floor is gone, you would have needed to make your own to fit anyhow. If the cab bottom is rusted out, you chop it off. If the fenders and hood are bad - who needs 'em? But keep any sections of metal that are solid - you never know when you might want some compound curves for fab work.

Before you start welding on it, be sure you can get the paperwork in order. I'm guessing KY has fairly easy title laws.

Either way - it's free!!! Take it.

The best thing is no matter what you do, you can't ruin it any worse! So you can really get creative with it.

I think it looks pretty damn solid. I say get after it and build somethin' bitchen! Besides, think of how cool it will be to show people the "before" pictures after you've built it.

Depends on how much work you want to do. It's always better to start out with a cab in decent shape, it will cost you less in the long run even if the truck in "free". Time is money!

Personally, I'd find something in better shape because those trucks are dirt cheap and plentiful around here. Depends where you're at and what's available.

Depends if you have more time then money and have the skill to work it into what you want, get it. But you can find those cabs in better shape for very cheap,even up here in Ontario.

Whoa...those are some gnarly vines. I bet the truck is mostly hidden in the summer time.

I don't think it's a candidate for a "restoration,"
but the cab and chassis are definetly game for a rod build.

"if you mow your yard and you find a car" you might be a redneck. what i like to think about is some one probly drove that truck and parked it there,how old are those trees growing through the bumper

I found a license plate in the bed from 1971. Might be the last time driven. It has a straight 6 flathead in it. Carb is missing.

Probably going to go over today and see if the tires can be aired up. I may have a trailer lined up and a friend is going to borrow his brother in laws dually. Were gonna have to drag it a few hundred yards before we can even think of loading it on a trailer.

We go an inch of snow last night so that should make for some cool pics.

Now the hard part...telling the wife what I'm about to drag home. Unfortunately my HOA won't let it set outside so I'm gonna have to bust it down fast so it doesn't hog the garage.

The flat head will proably go on craigslist or scrapped. Will run a different powerplant and trans.

But this build will be a while. Need to get the 65 Mustang done first.:mad:

Latest posts

Back